Enzo 8/4/2018 8:05 PM
directional cables?
I hope to hell this is a joke:

(from DIYAudio)

I've been performing experiments lately on my directional interconnects. I'd read that hanging them vertically for a few weeks and brushing them in a downwards direction for an hour or so a day helps align the crystal lattice and reduce listening fatigue.

I thought I'd try using magnetism, by running a horseshoe magnet along their length while they were hanging. While it worked very well to align the crystal lattice, the polarisation due to having both poles of the magnet in close proximity has had a deleterious effect on soundstage and stereo imaging. I'm left with cables that, while they aren't as fatiguing as new ones out of the box, are significantly less dynamic and have muddy field.

Rather than abandoning the idea of magnetism, I instead came up with using a toroidal transformer, making use of the balanced nature of the fields through the center of the core. By running that down the cable while it hung from a hook, I was able to increase the soundstage significantly, while also reducing the fatiguing effect due to the crystal lattice discontinuities. Hooking the transformer to a DC power supply in constant current mode was the final "ahah!" moment - suddenly I've got reduced distortion, increased soundstage, and a huge drop in inter-stage mistiness. I swear I can hear Gilmour fart three minutes and eleven seconds into wish you were here!

tboy 8/4/2018 8:19 PM
Wow, I had forgotten about it but this reminded me. There was a thing going around once about guitar cables being directional.

nosaj 8/4/2018 8:20 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I hope to hell this is a joke:

(from DIYAudio)
They should roll that up and smoke it cause it must be good.

nosaj

g1 8/4/2018 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure she's joking. No other posts along those lines, but from elsewhere:
"Full disclosure. My day job is as an electronics engineer working in the radio astronomy field. The instrument I work on is one of the larger radio telescopes globally (and growing). Modern radio telescopes make great use of beamforming, both at the focus of antennas with parabolic dishes and directly with aperture plane arrays"

I did get a kick out of the 'inter-stage mistiness' reference.

tedmich 8/4/2018 10:26 PM
"have muddy field."

like in a muddy field I find...BS!

crystalline lattice effects!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]49991[/ATTACH]

Evidence Audio sells "directional" instrument cables, but they really should be named "Sucker Testimonial Audio" because actual evidence is totally lacking...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49993[/ATTACH]

^^ this is, obviously, the instrument end of their $210 Forte cable...or maybe the amp end?
better get out the Ouija board to sort this out!

J M Fahey 8/4/2018 11:01 PM
Thatīs the *average* stuff at DIY Audio.

FWIW I have been banned there for 3 days for "insulting a distinguished Forum Member" who specializes on writing such crap and either sneers at or violently disagrees whith those countering him.

I visit them now and then because there is a small cache of pearls hidden under the crap, but the *average* level is appalling, to say it mildly.

Just 2 days ago a madman was publishing schematics for his 5kW into 16 ohm, Class D "design", straight fed from rectified mains which to boot were step up to 400V DC, because 308V DC (rectified Switzerland mains) "was not enough to meet his goals".

He got very angry and answered the classic "you donīt know who I am" ..... ... which of course nobody does.