Chuck H 7/13/2018 9:40 PM
Where's Bob?
SN: bob p

We haven't heard from him in about two months now. I'm getting concerned. I'm the only "official" friend he has here on the forum but I have no private contact info. If anyone knows anything please share.
 
Enzo 7/13/2018 9:47 PM
I worried I argued him to death. He at least contributed in the technical threads as well, unlike our recent conspiracy nut.
 
SoulFetish 7/13/2018 11:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I worried I argued him to death.
[IMG]https://orig00.deviantart.net/4d67/f/2018/194/9/0/boehner_crying_by_soulfetish-dch66la.jpg[/IMG]
 
Leo_Gnardo 7/14/2018 2:43 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
SN: bob p We haven't heard from him in about two months now.
I've noticed bob does the disappearing act every now & then, sometimes for months, maybe even over a year. I have a feeling he'll be back, nobody can out argue him! Two factors to consider, first he has a big important job and that may be consuming a large part of his time. Second, he's mentioned there's a family member who fell ill and that's occupied a large slice of his time in the past, who knows maybe now. So . . . if you read this bob, we miss ya. And come back when you're good 'n ready.
 
g1 7/14/2018 1:14 PM
I've noticed same as Leo, he disappears at times. Some time last year he posted about going away for awhile, but I don't think he did. Perhaps this is when he meant.
I do note that he has recently changed over to 'invisible' mode, so that 'last activity' is no longer shown in his profile. I'd assume he had some reason to do this.
 
nosaj 7/14/2018 1:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
I've noticed same as Leo, he disappears at times. Some time last year he posted about going away for awhile, but I don't think he did. Perhaps this is when he meant.
I do note that he has recently changed over to 'invisible' mode, so that 'last activity' is no longer shown in his profile. I'd assume he had some reason to do this.
Well hopefully none of it is political.

I especially like some of his technical amplifier discussions.

nosaj
 
big_teee 7/14/2018 1:20 PM
No change here.
My I-N list stays the same!
 
SoulFetish 7/14/2018 3:21 PM
I remember several months back he announced that he was not going to be posting in the forum for awhile. (I want to say it was somewhere in the trump thread, maybe?) it sounded like something may have come up which he needed to deal with. Or he had had enough of our shit?
In any case, He ended up sticking around. Which is good, because i like Bob, he’s one of the cats that I think about, when I think about this place. It wouldn’t be the same jf he weren’t here and part of the discussion.
 
Chuck H 7/14/2018 5:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SoulFetish View Post
... because i like Bob, he’s one of the cats that I think about, when I think about this place. It wouldn’t be the same jf he weren’t here and part of the discussion.
+1

He doesn't let go of an argument though. Even if the ground he's on is sliding That really bugs some people. Rightfully too since it's can confound the process of picking the good info from a thread. But the cat is smart and has demonstrated more than sufficient experience and inquisitiveness to be a substantial contributor. And his sense of humor is intact Something we occasionally have in short supply.
 
Justin Thomas 7/14/2018 5:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SoulFetish View Post
In any case, He ended up sticking around. Which is good, because i like Bob, he’s one of the cats that I think about, when I think about this place.
For any holdouts from the Ampage days, I think I may remember his last name. But I won't share that here. I'm glad there are still a FEW left; hard to think I've been here nearly 2 decades...

Justin
 
Chuck H 7/14/2018 5:50 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
...hard to think I've been here nearly 2 decades...
Oh holy crap. Don't EVEN go into the archives and look up my origins here. Since I've done all of my lernin' along the way with this forum and have no formal education or private study at all I come across as noob as any. I'm almost sorry that I left a public record of my personal evolution here. A cyber trail for people to follow that proves I'm just another Knuckle head McSpazatron.
 
Leo_Gnardo 7/14/2018 6:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Oh holy crap. Don't EVEN go into the archives and look up my origins here. Since I've done all of my lernin' along the way with this forum and have no formal education or private study at all I come across as noob as any. I'm almost sorry that I left a public record of my personal evolution here. A cyber trail for people to follow that proves I'm just another Knuckle head McSpazatron.
Too bad folks can't flip the pages back for a look at your former avatar Chuck, the dog butt with sunglasses. I miss that dog, he had a peculiar smile.
 
Justin Thomas 7/14/2018 7:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Oh holy crap. Don't EVEN go into the archives and look up my origins here. Since I've done all of my lernin' along the way with this forum and have no formal education or private study at all I come across as noob as any. I'm almost sorry that I left a public record of my personal evolution here. A cyber trail for people to follow that proves I'm just another Knuckle head McSpazatron.
You're doing better than me! Not that I'll quit... Keep going.

Justin
 
SoulFetish 7/14/2018 10:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
I miss that dog, he had a peculiar smile.
HA!
 
J M Fahey 7/15/2018 12:42 PM
FWIW none of his latest posts hinted at anything controversial, only unusual detail is that on May 19 he posted 8 , previous days had a similar frequency, and then stopped abruptly.

Just one point to consider, at our average age sudden things can happen, and not necessarily "the ultimate" by far, lots of Health problems can pop up and keep anybody away from the keyboard for some time.

Hope hes doing fine
 
Chuck H 7/15/2018 1:28 PM
Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
FWIW none of his latest posts hinted at anything controversial, only unusual detail is that on May 19 he posted 8 , previous days had a similar frequency, and then stopped abruptly.

Just one point to consider, at our average age sudden things can happen, and not necessarily "the ultimate" by far, lots of Health problems can pop up and keep anybody away from the keyboard for some time.

Hope hes doing fine
G1 mentioned that he changed over to "invisible" mode. I've never looked into that. It might explain the seemingly abrupt and unprefaced absence. At least I'd like to think so rather other things that that could cause it.
 
Steve A. 7/16/2018 5:39 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
We haven't heard from him in about two months now. I'm getting concerned. I'm the only "official" friend he has here on the forum...
FWIW there are only 2 or 3 members on my official "friend" list here so that doesn't mean much. I too was concerned so I sent him an unanswered PM the other day. As they say I guess that great mimes really do think alike...

[img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49754&d=1531740455[/img]

We fought like cats and dogs all the time*** but I do respect him and not just for his technical posts... he certainly is a very unique individual!

Steve A.

*** as in the President Oprah thread for which I am intentionally not providing a link as it might present him in a negative light for some of the members here. It might present me in a negative light as well but that ship sailed a long time ago...
 
Enzo 7/16/2018 1:05 PM
As far as I know, invisible mode means you can come browse, but it doesn't let others know you are online at the moment. I think it prevents people sending PMs saying "Hey, I see you are online, let me ask..."

Get get friend requests all the time, almost always from some fresh recruit with one or zero posts. I just automatically accept any friend request, as it prevents potential hurt feelings, and costs me nothing.

That said, I wonder what the purpose is of the friend list on this forum? I figured it must be a hold over from Face Book, where it seems to make a difference how much of a page you can see. But here, I can't see that being a friend or not makes any difference in forum use. Am I missing anything?
 
Steve A. 7/16/2018 3:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
As far as I know, invisible mode means you can come browse, but it doesn't let others know you are online at the moment.* I think it prevents people sending PMs saying "Hey, I see you are online, let me ask..."
There are two lists that would otherwise display your username, one displaying all users online and one of those currently viewing the thread you are viewing.

Get get friend requests all the time, almost always from some fresh recruit with one or zero posts.* I just automatically accept any friend request, as it prevents potential hurt feelings, and costs me nothing.
Good point.

That said, I wonder what the purpose is of the friend list on this forum?* I figured it must be a hold over from Face Book, where it seems to make a difference how much of a page you can see.* But here, I can't see that being a friend or not makes any difference in forum use.* Am I missing anything?
I just checked and Facebook was first available for non-students in 2006; I'd guess that we added the friend feature about 5 years ago so it was probably inspired by FB.

There was one feature on a website I used to frequent: it was an open chat available to all members currently online to join. I rarely see any advantage with chats but an open chat here with all of the old-timers here would be cool.

Steve A.

P.S. I think that there is an box in the Moderator's Control Panel that will show the last time a particular member was on-line. If you want to contact a mod about that or anything else you can use the spam report form which I know is automatically sent to my email.

In case anyone is wondering a spam report does absolutely nothing besides emailing the mods a copy of the report with links to the thread and the post; it is up to whichever mod gets there first to determine what action will be taken. So it is the fastest and easiest way to reach us rather than going through the menus.

BTW in each member's user control panel there is the option to receive emails from:
1. Mods - and/or -
2. Members

A far as I know the sender is not given your email address - the forum software will automatically forward your message to whatever address you specify in your control panel. When clicking on the poster's name over his avatar a menu will pop up and the option to send an email will appear at or near the bottom of the list on the right.

I will have to test that feature to make sure that it actually works since I have never had a message forwarded to my email account.
 
jmaf 7/16/2018 3:35 PM
Off topic here: I got notifications for the latest messages on this thread, except the email linked to the thread about Bob Pease(!)'s passing:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...4&goto=newpost

Is the forum using machine learning and thought Bob P is Bob Pease?
 
Enzo 7/16/2018 4:22 PM
Could be.

Steve, you have more powers than I do. Lately in a few repair threads, a new poster has started a new thread, but all his subsequent posts are witheld for moderation. I am a minor league moderator, and I see those posts as "moderated" and they do not have a post number yet. My little menu allows me to approve his posts, and poof, they now appear and have been numbered along with all the others.

I have no way to turn off their probationary status, so if he responds to me, that new post is now "moderated". Can I report a thread to you and you grant full status?