bob p 5/17/2018 9:52 AM
Yamaha Owns Ampeg
Loud Sells Ampeg to Yamaha

Leo_Gnardo 5/17/2018 12:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
Loud Sells Ampeg to Yamaha
Hopefully Yamaha will do the right thing and properly revive this once-proud brand from its moribund state. Oxygen over here please, without further delay!

There is one thing that makes me less than 100% happy about this. Ampeg has always been good about providing parts and technical help. Yamaha, not so much, "you're not an authorized repair center so no parts/schematics/assistance for you." Yamaha's method of dealing with their authorized repair centers is notoriously poor too. If Ampeg follows suit, it will be the worse for Ampeg.

glebert 5/17/2018 1:53 PM
Don't know about your experience with Ampeg/Loud but they were jackasses to me. Regular tech support guys tell me they can't help with a current product unless I'm an authorized service center, but that it is just a simple form to get authorized. Service manager replies "I'm not authorizing any more service centers, but submit the form and maybe at some point in the future I will approve it." Eff that. This was about a year ago.

Leo_Gnardo 5/17/2018 2:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by glebert View Post
Don't know about your experience with Ampeg/Loud but they were jackasses to me..
Sorry to hear that. I haven't needed help from Ampeg for at least 5 years. Back then I dealt with a woman who was a real sweetheart, nice as could be, and provided schemos & parts plus a followup email to make sure everything was all right. So much for service with a smile. Now it's apparently no service, with a snarl.

nickb 5/17/2018 5:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by glebert View Post
Don't know about your experience with Ampeg/Loud but they were jackasses to me. Regular tech support guys tell me they can't help with a current product unless I'm an authorized service center, but that it is just a simple form to get authorized. Service manager replies "I'm not authorizing any more service centers, but submit the form and maybe at some point in the future I will approve it." Eff that. This was about a year ago.
Think Line 6, also owned by Yamaha. The omens are not good.

bob p 5/17/2018 6:35 PM
It's funny, at the user forums there are people rejoicing about how Yamaha ownership of Ampeg will be a great thing. I've read things like, "Yahama makes affordable stuff so Ampegs will become affordable. Yay!"

I'm not so optimistic.

I had great results getting spare parts for old SLM era rack SVTs out of Loud. It was surprisingly easy. I ordered extras, just because. Yamaha? I don't trust Yamaha to make parts available. I wonder if it's too late to get parts at the Loud phone desk.