Mark Hammer 3/13/2018 6:32 PM
Resetting display mode
I accidentally switched the display properties on the "President Trump" thread to linear mode. And with well over 3000 posts in that thread, it simply doesn't load, no matter how patiently I wait. Is there any sort of back door I can use to reset the display properties for that thread? Everything else is working fine.

The Dude 3/13/2018 6:40 PM
I guess I didn't know that setting was thread specific. FWIW: I always view the forum in linear mode and it loads fine for me. Edit: Just checked. At least for me, when I change display modes, it changes for all threads. So, maybe go to a smaller thread that loads for you and change it there. Then go back to the Trump thread.

Steve A. 3/13/2018 9:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;482852]I accidentally switched the display properties on the "President Trump" thread to linear mode.* And with well over 3000 posts in that thread, it simply doesn't load, no matter how patiently I wait. Is there any sort of back door I can use to reset the display properties for that thread?* Everything else is working fine.[/QUOTE] For the heck of it give this link a try... it *should* go to the newest post or at least the last page but your computer might still want to load all of the earlier posts. Let me know how it works for you. PRESIDENT TRUMP: [url=http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new/]President Trump - Page 94[/url] Oops! The forum software converted the code into a link. Lemmee try this: [code]http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new/[/code] Adding "-new/" to the end of any "t" number should send you to the newest post of the thread. Steve A. P.S. Forum behavior can depend on device used as well as its OS along with the particular browser or app. No hard fast rules which can make things a bit confusing...

bob p 3/13/2018 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;482852]I accidentally switched the display properties on the "President Trump" thread to linear mode. And with well over 3000 posts in that thread, it simply doesn't load, no matter how patiently I wait. Is there any sort of back door I can use to reset the display properties for that thread? Everything else is working fine.[/QUOTE] [quote]Forum behavior can depend on device used as well as its OS along with the particular browser or app. No hard fast rules which can make things a bit confusing...[/quote] I've had similar problems. I wouldn't attribute this to being a client-side issue, it's more likely a server-side issue. when someone asks the server to display 3000 posts at once, the server is responsible for retrieving and formatting the text using the [URL="http://php.net/"]php hypertext preprocessor[/URL]; the server has to retrieve 3000 posts from a database, sort them, format them, and prepare a page to be transmitted to the client. the client is only responsible for displaying the text sent by the server. the server will take quite a bit of time to prepare a 3000 post data stream. if there isn't enough memory on the server to allow everything to fit in RAM then some disk spooling is going to be required. that's going to take time. chances are that your client side device will timeout before the task is complete... provided that the server doesn't choke on that much data. most web sites don't allow threads to become this long because the result is degraded server performance and latency. we've been turning a blind eye to that here. your only option at the client end is to lengthen the timeout interval on your device. from an administrative standpoint, what's needed is to lock down the thread and continue the topic in a new thread.

Mark Hammer 3/15/2018 5:17 PM
I suspect you're right, Bob. I looked for timeout options in Firefox but couldn't find any.

bob p 3/15/2018 5:39 PM
IIRC it's one of those items that can only be set using about:config. I don't know if this still works or not: [url]http://superuser.com/questions/303217/how-can-i-change-the-connection-timeout-setting-in-firefox[/url]

Mark Hammer 3/16/2018 12:28 PM
Well, I guess I'll just have to find out what's cooking in the White HOuse the way everyone else does: Info Wars ;)

Steve A. 3/19/2018 3:36 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;483134]Well, I guess I'll just have to find out what's cooking in the White HOuse the way everyone else does: Info Wars ;)[/QUOTE] If you are running Firefox on an older computer running Windows 7 you might want to check out Pale Moon which runs the basic FF code but it is like a hot rod with a lot of the bells and whistles removed. As it is running FF code there is no need to import bookmarks, etc., it is all there. So none of the suggestions mentioned so far have worked? Perhaps it is time to move on from Microsoft and get an Android tablet for browsing which runs a basic Linux kernel so it is much more stable than Windows. And no chance of getting blackmailed by ransomware... Actually if you have an Android phone you might try going to MEF in Chrome to see if you can reset your options that way. Steve A. P.S. I just visited MEF on my 2009 Win 7 PC running Pale Moon for the first time in years, went to the first page of the Pres Trump thread and clicked on the button for the last page and it zoomed right to it. Under Display I have Linear Mode. P.P.S. For the past week or so there have been times when MEF takes a very long time to respond to clicks...

bob p 3/19/2018 8:08 AM
[QUOTE=Steve A.;483400]P.P.S. For the past week or so there have been times when MEF takes a very long time to respond to clicks...[/QUOTE] I've noticed that too. It's been going on for months, though it's intermittent enough that you might not notice it.

Mark Hammer 3/19/2018 11:53 AM
Thanks, Steve. I'm running XP SP2 on an older desktop machine. I don't have a phone (well, other than the curly-cord type), but have an Android tablet that works fine. And even though it has a keyboard, it can be a pain in the arse to write with. So I prefer to use my desktop for this site. I guess I'll just use the tablet and suffer the pain. You folks will forgive the spelling mistakes I might make.

bob p 3/19/2018 12:10 PM
Hah! Mark confirms that there *IS* somebody out there who's using equipment that's just as antiquated as mine! No smart phone here, no tablet, and in fact, my coily-cord phone has a rotary dial on it. I have to admit though -- even though I'm as behind the times as I am, I still dumped XP in favor of Linux 15 years ago... the deciding factor for me was when every software vendor decided that they wanted to go with a subscription based model and forced me into upgrades that cost $80 a pop.

Mark Hammer 3/19/2018 1:02 PM
AFAIC, a "real" phone has a rotary dial, a curly cord, is made of black bakelite, and weighs a few pounds. You lucky bastard. You have a real one. Mine has a curly cord, but push-buttons. The tablet is not for apps, so much as viewing schematics, of which there are about 8gigs worth installed. I'm sure the resolution on some smartphones outshines the resolution on my tablet, but the resolution on my eyes has not improved in the last 10 years, so it's nice to have a 10" screen for viewing things when I'm not at my desk.

bob p 3/19/2018 1:16 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;483456]AFAIC, a "real" phone has a rotary dial, a curly cord, is made of black bakelite, and weighs a few pounds. You lucky bastard. You have a real one. [/QUOTE] I have lots of real ones. When I moved into my house in the 1970s, the previous owner was an installer for the phone company. He wired-up the entire house so that it had at least 2 phone jacks in every room. Back then he used those big 4-prong plugs, which we still have. Everything was rotary back then, and having a phone that's never farther away than the nearest table, we've never had the need to get a wireless phone. There's no need for them if you've got a wired phone situated along every 10 feet of wall space. The only problem with the cool old phones comes along when I'm expected to press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish... I just sit there and wait, hoping that an error-trap will get me out of an endless loop.

Mark Hammer 3/21/2018 8:27 AM
The last time I was teaching, I was still able to persuade my students of the importance and versatility of cognitive psychology by telling them how human-factors researchers were responsible for the layout of phone keypads, and the dot in the middle of the holes on the dial. The latter allowed the user to position their dialing finger at the ready for when the dial came to rest. That would reduce dialing time by about 1/3. And since, in the days of rotary-dial phones, there was no multiplexing over fibre-optic cable, and few had answering machines (which were tape-based anyway), a substantial number of calls would result in either nobody home, or a busy signal. So getting people to dial faster got them off the phone faster, necessitating the installation of fewer phone lines. It was a simple and elegant tweak that saved millions. Of course, that was then. If I was teaching now, none of that would have any meaning to any students under 60. I would have to drone on and on about the input of cognitive psychologists into interface and GUI design. A friend and former neighbour is a human-factors psychologist works on dashboard design in operating suites.

Enzo 3/21/2018 9:14 AM
These days the digits don't matter, so a number like 555-9999 is fine. But in the old dial days, I used to hate numbers with 9 and 0 in them. I am a fan of trade show swag. The stuff like my bank gives away. Key rings with a sports schedule, a ruler asking how they "measure up" to the competition. Can openers no one needs now - those became tab top grabbers. But in the old days, we used to get short ball point pens with a plastic ball on the eraser end. The ball was used instead of your finger to dial phone dials. [ATTACH=CONFIG]47703[/ATTACH]

bob p 3/21/2018 9:32 AM
Dashboard design sure has changed. Vehicle dashboards, I mean. My old beater truck is a Ford from the 1980s. On the left of the steering wheel there were two multi-function controls, one for the headlights and one for the wipers. One was designed with a round knob while the other was designed with an octagonal knob. They did this on purpose, so you could identify the knobs in the dark by tactile response. This allowed a driver to keep his eyes on the road at night when he needed to use the wipers, without the risk of inadvertently turning off the lights. Ergonomics used to be a science. Today we have replaced unique individual-purpose knobs with multi-purpose knobs that require you to take your eyes off of the road to view a display to determine what function has been transiently assigned tot he control. This is progress?

Steve A. 3/21/2018 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;483444]Thanks, Steve. I'm running XP SP2 on an older desktop machine. I don't have a phone (well, other than the curly-cord type), but have an Android tablet that works fine. And even though it has a keyboard, it can be a pain in the arse to write with. So I prefer to use my desktop for this site. I guess I'll just use the tablet and suffer the pain. You folks will forgive the spelling mistakes I might make.[/QUOTE] Depending on the model of your tablet you should be able to use an external keyboard either through bluetooth or an OTG connector plugged into your micro USB port. They can work very well if you are sitting at a desk, not so well if you are holding your tablet. Is there some reason you haven't upgraded XP to SP3? Many if not most programs expect you to have SP3. BTW my favorite OS is Win XP 64 bit Professional which never had or needed the 3rd service pack and some programs refuse to be installed on it because they are looking for the SP3 signature. Until fairly recently both Wells Fargo and Kaiser Permanente used 64 bit XP on their agents' and doctor's PCs. Your PC might be a good candidate for Linux which you could try out on a USB thumb drive. Perhaps Terry could suggest a version that works well for XP users. One thing I remember about XP is that I had to reinstall it every 2 years because it would get sluggish from all of the crap in the registry, etc. Steve A.

bob p 3/21/2018 12:02 PM
Time for linux geek talk: The problem that you'll have running linux on seriously old hardware is that the commonly available linux distributions aren't compiled to run on really old hardware. In recent years many linux distirubtions stopped releasing x86 architecture versions for processors that aren't AMD64 compliant, which they call x86-64 to avoid trademark issues. In the poplular distros like Ubuntu, other debian derivatives and Fedora, you're going to have to have an i686 compatible processor at a minimum. That means Pentium Pro/Pentium 2 or greater. If Mark is running a pentium-class machine then he's going to be SOL unless he's willing to compile his own OS from scratch. That means Linux From Scratch, Gentoo, or something similar. I have a lot of experience as a linux developer, specifically in deploying linux on old/antiquated hardware. When you go to hardware that's really old, you don't want to be using programs that have been compiled to rely upon generic x86 instruction sets as performance is abysmal. To get old hardware to perform marginally well with current linux distros, bloated code and the bloating of their underlying dekstop managers, you really need to recompile the software using a toolkit that optimizes for the instruction set supported by your CPU, while purposefully excluding instructions not supported by your CPU. The problem is that do accomplish this, a complete system recompile will take 30 days. I know. In the era of Mark's hardware I used to be the development team leader publishing a CPU-specific linux distribution. The other concern is that hardware that's that old is going to be constrained by it's memory. To make kernel performance reasonable, you can't rely upon a generic kernel that comes with support for everything built in using modules. The kernel becomes subject to bloat and performance issues. To really get old hardware to perform well you need to roll your own kernels, including support for the devices that you have and excluding support for the devices that you don't have, in order to minimize it's memory footprint. After spending a couple of years on that project, my advice is to stick with XP as long as you can. You'll waste the least amount of time doing that. It pains me to say that, as I really hate windows.

Mark Hammer 3/27/2018 6:06 AM
Thanks for that advice, Bob. In the grand scheme of things, this thread was principally to address my inability to view, and participate in, the "President Trump" thread. But you know, I get enough Trump in my life...probably more than enough. As a very long-time member, I don't like being functionally locked out of any threads here, but this may be one of those cases where that's actually a good thing, like not being able to smoke at the office or in the supermarket. So, I appreciate all the help that was offered here. I hope it is useful to others. I'm just gonna "de-Trump" and content myself with that.

Steve A. 3/27/2018 1:26 PM
[QUOTE=bob p;483744]Time for linux geek talk: The problem that you'll have running linux on seriously old hardware is that the commonly available linux distributions aren't compiled to run on really old hardware. In recent years many linux distirubtions stopped releasing x86 architecture versions for processors that aren't AMD64 compliant, which they call x86-64 to avoid trademark issues. In the poplular distros like Ubuntu, other debian derivatives and Fedora, you're going to have to have an i686 compatible processor at a minimum. That means Pentium Pro/Pentium 2 or greater. If Mark is running a pentium-class machine then he's going to be SOL unless he's willing to compile his own OS from scratch. That means Linux From Scratch, Gentoo, or something similar. ... After spending a couple of years on that project, my advice is to stick with XP as long as you can. You'll waste the least amount of time doing that. It pains me to say that, as I really hate windows.[/QUOTE] That is good to know, Bob, but is there any reason that Mark can't run an older Linux distro on his older computer? I have a lot of older hardware on which I run older OS's with older apps and/or programs. I realize that security can be an issue but I do run up-to-date anti-malware software which seems ro run fine. Steve A. P.S. Speaking of old hardware a friend has an old laptop from ~2006 which had not responded well to previous Windows upgrades (it had basically been usable) but it has been running like a champ since upgrading to Windows 10.

Steve A. 3/27/2018 1:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;484466]Thanks for that advice, Bob. In the grand scheme of things, this thread was principally to address my inability to view, and participate in, the "President Trump" thread. But you know, I get enough Trump in my life...probably more than enough. As a very long-time member, I don't like being functionally locked out of any threads here, but this may be one of those cases where that's actually a good thing, like not being able to smoke at the office or in the supermarket. So, I appreciate all the help that was offered here. I hope it is useful to others. I'm just gonna "de-Trump" and content myself with that.[/QUOTE] Smoking in the supermarket?!? Dang, that has been banned in California since the mid 70's as I recall. The conservatives like to harp on "California values" but there are many very good ideas that started here. (As for the ones that turned out to be not-so-good we should at least be thanked for testing them out for the rest of you folks.) In your case I think the issue is not the president per se but the principle of thing... you should be able to view any of the threads here! For the heck of it did you already try deleting your cookies for MEF? You will need to remember your password but it might help. Steve A. P.S. As for the on-screen keyboard on your tablet have you tried any of the alternates like SwiftKey, Smart Keyboard or Gboard (from Google). I assume that you don't try typing in portrait mode unless you have a huge tablet. BTW I have Ultimate Rotation Control installed on all of my Android devices - it allows you to lock the device in landscape or portrait mode, and easily reset it however you want (like landscape, reverse landscape, auto landscape...) I paid something like $5 for it in 2012 but have been able to install it on all of my Android devices since then... Google has a great scheme for copy protection: your purchases through their Play Store are locked to devices registered with the same Gmail address so unless you want to give out your Gmail password you cannot share your paid apps with friends. Speaking of copy protection I always liked the policy at Borland from the 80's; their CEO Philippe Kahn said to treat their software like a book you have bought, which you can loan out freely but only one person at a time can read it. So they relied on the honor system rather than the hardware or software copy protection schemes used by many of their competitors. Of course they went out of business so maybe that wasn't the best strategy...

bob p 3/27/2018 2:38 PM
[QUOTE=Steve A.;484511]That is good to know, Bob, but is there any reason that Mark can't run an older Linux distro on his older computer? I have a lot of older hardware on which I run older OS's with older apps and/or programs. I realize that security can be an issue but I do run up-to-date anti-malware software which seems ro run fine.[/QUOTE] It all depends on Mark's CPU/chipset. He never told us what he has. Back in the old days, distributions used to compile for the 386 instruction set. They stopped doing that because the later instruction sets provided much more functionality, and nobody was using 386 computers any more. (I doubt that even you are running software on an old 386 Steve!) With the advent of multimedia you pretty much have to have a chipset that has the pentium era MMX extensions to be useful as a web surfer. Years ago the industry standardized by obsoleting anything older than i686. If you want to run a really old linux distro, that'll be compiled for 386 and won't have any of the multimedia CPU flags. So you'd have to recompile to add support. the biggest problem running that really old software is that it won't have the features that you're used to running on a more modern PC. It's web browser that will choke on modern web pages, it'll have a window manager that lacks modern features, it won't be able to recognize modern hardware devices, etc. If he wants to run an OS that old, I'd virtualize it on a modern machine.

Steve A. 3/30/2018 10:08 AM
Mark: Did this link not work for you? It should take you to the most recent post or page... [url=http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new/]President Trump - Page 95[/url] [code]http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new/[/code] Steve A.

Steve A. 3/30/2018 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=bob p;484524]It all depends on Mark's CPU/chipset. He never told us what he has. Back in the old days, distributions used to compile for the 386 instruction set. They stopped doing that because the later instruction sets provided much more functionality, and nobody was using 386 computers any more. (I doubt that even you are running software on an old 386 Steve!) With the advent of multimedia you pretty much have to have a chipset that has the pentium era MMX extensions to be useful as a web surfer. Years ago the industry standardized by obsoleting anything older than i686. If you want to run a really old linux distro, that'll be compiled for 386 and won't have any of the multimedia CPU flags. So you'd have to recompile to add support. the biggest problem running that really old software is that it won't have the features that you're used to running on a more modern PC. It's web browser that will choke on modern web pages, it'll have a window manager that lacks modern features, it won't be able to recognize modern hardware devices, etc. If he wants to run an OS that old, I'd virtualize it on a modern machine.[/QUOTE] Mark said he was using an XP machine which I assumed meant that it was installed with XP. I didn't switch to XP from Win2K until about 2005 and I don't think that Vista came out until ~2009. Steve A.

big_teee 3/30/2018 12:18 PM
The forum was running real slow yesterday for me. I replied to a post, and it took it a long time to finally update. It seems to be normal today, so far? T

Steve A. 3/31/2018 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=big_teee;484868]The forum was running real slow yesterday for me. I replied to a post, and it took it a long time to finally update. It seems to be normal today, so far? T[/QUOTE] That seems to happen a lot but Mark has been having a problem with the President Trump thread with his computer trying to load all 50 million posts before getting to the fresh ones which it is no longer able to do. Steve A. P.S. I'm not sure how this would work with Linux but if you copy and paste the text of your reply and the URL of the thread into a TXT file you can try posting it later when the forum is running faster. What really hurts is losing a reply that you just spent 15 minutes composing... :(

Steve A. 4/4/2018 9:44 PM
How about archiving the Pres Trump posts before 2018???
Here's a crazy idea that just popped into my brain... what if we split up the President Trump into 2 or 3 chunks by date? I was thinking of one closed but stickied thread going up to the night he was elected, a second going up to 12/31/2017 and a third one (to be open and stickied) starting January 1, 2018. (Dates are not set in stone and could be revised as appropriate.) If there is any support for this idea I will start a poll on the issue. For starters without touching the existing President Trump thread I will post my two proposed archive threads in The Super Secret Private Forum. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! ◆ (I just now pasted closed copies of the Pres Trump thread in that forum for me to experiment with. I have not done anything with them yet but will revise the titles when I do, of course keeping techmich as the creator of the thread on September 13, 2015. Hmmm... I wonder if that was a Friday - that would sure explain everything that has happened since then! :spin: :spin: ) (Nope, it was a Sunday.) (Omigawd my parenthetical notes are starting to talk to each other!) Steve A. P.S. Yes, I realize that splitting up the 3337 posts in the Pres Trump thread (as of this time) would be as sacrilegious as breaking up The Beatles but they would all be readily available as stickies and if someone wants to reply to a post from 2015 well tough beans... you already had plenty of chances to do that. (You *could* post a screenshot or copy the text if absolutely necessary.)

Enzo 4/4/2018 10:47 PM
I want Mark to be able to participate, of course. But it is dangerous to go and rearrange and modify existing things because ONE poster has some sort of problem since they tried to reconfigure it. Such change might or might not help Mark, but has the potential to cause problems for MANY of us. Has anyone else reported this problem? My thoughts? NO ONE is going to start at post ONE and read the whole damned Trump thread. The thread itself is not about anything in particular, just Trump related miscellany. So to me before/after the election is artificial and meaningless. If I recall bob or Mark saying something a day ago, I will go look for it. If I recall them saying something a year and a half ago, I won't. I'll just google the Trump end of whatever it was in the real world. There is no continuity or development through the course of the thread, so nothing to get up to date on. About the only reason to read through it would be if you were a big enough anti-Trump type you could look for juicy bits. Is MArk having trouble with other threads?

bob p 4/4/2018 10:58 PM
you're right -- there's nothing in that thread that's worth reading or worth saving, except for the last few pages. if this were my house i'd use the forum's auto-trim feature to automatically purge the oldest posts to keep the length of the thread to a level that can be managed by the server and by Mark's client. I dare to think that tboy could cut off the first 10 pages and nobody would ever notice.

Enzo 4/5/2018 12:02 AM
That is true, a weekly or even monthly purge would be fine with me. No one really cares to face-palm over something Trump said last month, when there is plenty of face-palming to do over this week's stuff.

bob p 4/5/2018 12:33 AM
there's a never ending supply, for sure.

Mark Hammer 4/6/2018 1:58 PM
Given that: a) a term of office lasts 4 years, b) the odds of an impeachment are quite slim, c) the odds of running out of things to rail on about is even slimmer, and d) I'm not going to get my display settings rectified without major disruption to others. I'll take the bold step of doing this... [url=http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46371-post492306/#post492306]President Trump, Part Deux[/url] And no, I have experienced no other slowdown outside of the inability to access the existing Trump thread. But thanks for thinking of me, folks. I suppose I would have liked it better if your posts ended with "AND he's soooo handsome, too". However I'm content as is.

g1 4/6/2018 5:35 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;492307] I suppose I would have liked it better if your posts ended with "AND he's soooo handsome, too". However I'm content as is.[/QUOTE] Easily better looking than The Donald. How's that work for ya? ;)

Steve A. 4/7/2018 6:19 AM
Other than deleting threads started by spambots I've never deleted anything here unless someone asked me to delete one of their posts. Moving the posts from, say January 1, 2018 to a new thread and closing the original one through December 31, 2017 might be a good issue to put in a forum poll. While most of our comments are disposable there are a lot of important links and funny pictures in the President Trump thread. Perhaps someday we will have software with a search function to take us to a particular post within a thread (I thought that it did at one time but haven't seen that option for years and it might not have even been here that I was thinking of.) Steve A.

Steve A. 4/7/2018 6:33 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;492307]Given that: a) a term of office lasts 4 years, b) the odds of an impeachment are quite slim, c) the odds of running out of things to rail on about is even slimmer, and d) I'm not going to get my display settings rectified without major disruption to others. I'll take the bold step of doing this... [url=http://music-electronics-forum.com/t46371-post492306/#post492306]President Trump, Part Deux[/url] And no, I have experienced no other slowdown outside of the inability to access the existing Trump thread. But thanks for thinking of me, folks. I suppose I would have liked it better if your posts ended with "AND he's soooo handsome, too". However I'm content as is.[/QUOTE] Mark, for the heck of it can you log off, reboot and then come back here as a guest to help isolate the problem? It could be something in your settings here that is screwing things up for you. If the Trump thread runs fine as a guest then you could try deleting your cookies here (be sure to save your user name and password.) If you still have problems assessing the Trump thread as a guest with no cookies then it might be caused by the limitations of your computer. When I used to use WinXP I'd have to reinstall it every year or two as it would start to get very bogged down. Steve A.

bob p 4/7/2018 8:49 AM
[QUOTE=Steve A.;492379]Perhaps someday we will have software with a search function to take us to a particular post within a thread (I thought that it did at one time but haven't seen that option for years and it might not have even been here that I was thinking of.)[/QUOTE] It used to work that way. I remember it too. It has frustrated me that the searches now take you to the beginning of a thread, rather than to the exact page you're looking for.

Mark Hammer 4/7/2018 12:20 PM
So, I did log out and re-enter as a guest. I was able to see the entire Trump thread. Changed modes suiccessfully as a guest. Erased all cookies for the MEF site, and tried re-entering again, using my login ID and password. No go for the Trump thread. I'm running Firefox 52.6. I'll stick with the Part Deux thread for now.

Steve A. 4/9/2018 6:17 AM
[QUOTE=bob p;492197]you're right -- there's nothing in that thread that's worth reading or worth saving, except for the last few pages. if this were my house i'd use the forum's auto-trim feature to automatically purge the oldest posts to keep the length of the thread to a level that can be managed by the server and by Mark's client. I dare to think that tboy could cut off the first 10 pages and nobody would ever notice.[/QUOTE] The first 10 pages out of 96?!? There were almost 3000 posts and 85 pages before the start of this year which is what I suggested splitting off from the open thread. Right now we are up to 3343 posts. I suggested archiving the first 27-1/2 months mainly for the informative posts and the links to news stories, not the chitter chatter. Finding those articles on Google a year from now would be like finding a needle in a haystack. My big complaint with Google searches is that you might get 30 million hits but no way to filter them down to find what you are looking for. I would like to see a search engine that would create a database of the first 5 or 10 thousand hits from which you could narrow down to find what you were actually looking for. FWIW although all sorts of people use spreadsheets I was always into databases. I could not afford dBase but used dBxl,, which was developed locally (I did an HVAC service call on their house which they used for their office.) Just for the heck of it I wrote dBxl programs for our own office with databases of our customers and our service calls which could be used for scheduling and dispatch. I never presented my programs to management... I just wanted to learn how to write apps in dBase (dBxl used the dBase programming language but added a lot of new functions which I refrained from using for 100% compatibility with dBase.) Steve A.

Steve A. 4/11/2018 2:25 AM
CROSS POST from Pres Trump thread for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, er, Hammer
[B][I]Mark, let us know if the instructions below will allow you to view President Trump (although for the life of me I cannot imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to look at the *ssh*le!) [/I] [/B] [QUOTE=bob p;492604]Setting aside the debate about how web servers work, and our desire to set thread records, since Mark is having a problem why don't we do him a favor and use the other thread so he's not excluded?[/QUOTE] An addition to my previous reply: I am not in favor of closing this thread but deleting the posts prior to this year which will still be available for viewing in a closed thread. Of course I would leave in the original post that started this thread in September 2015 and a link to the archived thread... There are other reasons to prune this thread besides the problems that Mark has been experiencing. Kinda like deadheading a rose bush to encourage future growth: [url]https://m.wikihow.com/Deadhead-Roses[/url] Steve A. P.S. I will be posting a tutorial with screenshots showing members how to edit their settings here like the display mode. Since Mark can view this thread if he logs out and returns as a guest I think that resetting his display options should solve his problem. EDIT: Here are the instructions for changing display options. You can access this page by clicking on "Settings" in the line at the top on the right side between My Profile and Log Out. Alternately you might try this link: [url]http://music-electronics-forum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions[/url] Once on the "General Settings" page... #1. Click on [B]General Settings [/B] in the menu on the left. #2. Scroll down to the 3rd heading: [B]Thread Display Options [/B] There are several options that Mark might want to experiment with, for starters the Thread Display Mode — I would suggest one of the two selections at the top: Linear - Oldest First or Newest First. I think that Mark might have clicked on "Threaded" which I think would link replies to earlier posts — I can see how trying to do this with 3,300+ posts might cause the forum software to lock up tighter than a drum! "Hybrid" might have a similar effect. If nothing else works the bottom option should fix the problem, "Default Thread Age Cutoff" which has 12 options from one day to one year along with the forum default, Show All. If that default must be changed I'd suggest one year so as to not disrupt too many threads by dropping the initial posts. Here are screenshots for steps #1 and #2... [img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48411&d=1523434261[/img] [B]-==◇==○==◇==-[/B] [img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48412&d=1523434261[/img] [B]BTW I used no special powers as a moderator to come up with all of this...[/B] any member could have done it, too. But as a moderator I try to help everyone that I can with problems like this - just as so many experts here have helped people solve problems with their guitars, amps, pedals and other electronic devices. Hey, I'm just the librarian... :spin: :spin: [ATTACH=CONFIG]48411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48412[/ATTACH]

Steve A. 4/11/2018 5:30 AM
[QUOTE=The Dude;482854]I guess I didn't know that setting was thread specific. FWIW: I always view the forum in linear mode and it loads fine for me. Edit: Just checked. At least for me, when I change display modes, it changes for all threads. So, maybe go to a smaller thread that loads for you and change it there. Then go back to the Trump thread.[/QUOTE] Hot damn! In the second post to this thread I think you hit the nail on the head and offered a solution that would have worked. I have a hunch that Mark accidentally clicked on Threaded view which links each reply to the message to which it is replying. Here's a screenshot of the Threaded view of this thread with only 39 posts at that time. You can imagine how hard it would be for the forum software and hardware to handle a request for the threaded view of the President Trump thread with over 3,300 posts! (Members might want to try it with this thread to see how it links all of the posts.) [img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48413&d=1523445057[/img] I think that the forum software used here needs to be patched to ignore requests for a Threaded view of a thread with more than, say, 100 posts, a number which each forum could set as they thought appropriate. BTW the forum software that tboy wrote for AMPAGE 20+ years ago was amazing! It had features that I found in no other forum, features which the commercial software developers eventually added to their own programs. Once those developers finally came out with all of the needed features tboy decided to just buy the software rather than spend all of the time and energy to code it himself. At least that is my own explanation based on my observations but completely unconfirmed by reality. Steve A. P.S. When you click on Reply with Quote it gives you the name of the person you are replying to along with a 6 digit number which links back to the quoted post. In the post to which I am replying here that number is 482854. I believe that those numbers are how the forum software creates the threaded view. Trying to correlate 3300+ posts in a single scrolling display might exceed the capabilites of the hardware and/or software running this forum. P.P.S. Clicking on the icon following the name of the member whose post was being quoted will transport you immediately to that post. I just figured that out recently (I had thought that the number and icon applied to the member and not the post he had made.) CORRECTION: I just now tried setting the Display option to Threaded on my Samsung Tab 4 7.0 android tablet using the Puffin browser and it compiled that view of the President Trump thread very quickly. So perhaps the problem Mark was having was caused in part by the older hardware and software he was using (like Win XP). In any case he is not the only person in the world going online with outdated (vintage?!?) uardware and software. [ATTACH=CONFIG]48413[/ATTACH]

Mark Hammer 4/11/2018 8:15 AM
My hopes were raised, then dashed. Switching modes in other shorter threads did nothing for the big Trump thread.

big_teee 4/11/2018 8:16 AM
I tried it, and had the same result. Couldn't see the trump thread in threaded mode. So like mentioned, change the display in a smaller thread to linear display mode. Eezeepeezee T

bob p 4/11/2018 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;492699]My hopes were raised, then dashed. Switching modes in other shorter threads did nothing for the big Trump thread.[/QUOTE] It's an inevitable problem that can't be avoided. It's why experienced forums split long threads. I tried to ask everyone to switch to a continuation thread so we wouldn't lose you, Mark. but it seems that some people care more about setting thread records than working together so that nobody gets left behind. At this point it looks like you're being told that you have to make a choice -- adapt to use linear mode or get excluded.

Steve A. 4/11/2018 4:04 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;492699]My hopes were raised, then dashed. Switching modes in other shorter threads did nothing for the big Trump thread.[/QUOTE] So did you try the various steps I outlined in Post #39 to edit your forum settings? You can click your way to that page or just try this link: [url]http://music-electronics-forum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions[/url] I suspect that you will find your View Mode set to Threaded in which case you need to switch it back to Linear (your choice of newest or oldest first.) Please let us know if following these steps solved your problem. Steve A.

Steve A. 4/11/2018 4:18 PM
[QUOTE=bob p;492707]It's an inevitable problem that can't be avoided. It's why experienced forums split long threads. I tried to ask everyone to switch to a continuation thread so we wouldn't lose you, Mark. but it seems that some people care more about setting thread records than working together so that nobody gets left behind. [/QUOTE] Bob, there are some very strong divergent views on this issue so I will be starting a poll to get some idea of what the members here want. As for not caring about leaving Mark behind I spent about 4 hours last night and this morning dealing with the problem he has been having. [QUOTE] At this point it looks like you're being told [Mark] that you have to make a choice -- adapt to use linear mode or get excluded.[/QUOTE] Bob, I am sure that Mark was in fact using Linear mode before he accidentally clicked on something and lost access to the President Trump thread. In fact he has specifically requested that his display mode be reset to what it had been before. BTW the forum default is Linear - Oldest first so that is what you have unless you change it. Steve A.

Steve A. 4/11/2018 4:50 PM
BTW here is another "forum quirk" which has been bugging me for awhile: after making a post in a thread if I click on Refresh it will not show me any posts made after I made that post. • I generally leave an MEF tab open in my browser so if I come back later after making a post and click on Refresh it looks as though no additional posts have been made. • So why does it do that? After making a post the URL is changed to point specifically to that post. • There are several different workarounds for that like editing the URL or going back to the subforum list and clicking on the thread. The important thing is to be aware of that "quirk" so that clicking on Refresh after making a post might not show posts made after your post. (I just figured that out myself only a few months ago so I'd think that my post had been the most recent one... nothing new today, milord.) Steve A... ... using a Samsung Tab 4 7.0 with Android 4.4.2 running Google Chrome version 40.0.2214.409 — I mention that because everybody's experience on the internet can depend on the specific hardware and software you are using. Confusing, isn't it?

bob p 4/11/2018 6:00 PM
[QUOTE=Steve A.;492725]Bob, there are some very strong divergent views on this issue so I will be starting a poll to get some idea of what the members here want.[/QUOTE] You're absolutely right. I think that at least part of the reason that there some very strong divergent views on this issue exist is because some people have not experienced Mark's problem, so they haven't yet accepted that the problem exists. There are still people saying that if the board isn't broken, don't fix it. It wouldn't surprise me if they voted to do nothing in your poll. [quote]As for not caring about leaving Mark behind I spent about 4 hours last night and this morning dealing with the problem he has been having.[/quote] I'm not accusing you of not caring about leaving Mark behind. But at the same time, I can't imagine why anyone would spend 4 hours trying to fix what experienced sysadmins recognize as a 5 minute problem. I don't think the problem is so important and so divisive that we need to have a vote or a user consensus before proceeding to make a change. I think that an administrative decision is good enough. If you have reservations about making any permanent changes, then just try an experiment and see how it works out. To anyone who has mod powers it's just as easy to re-join two threads as it is to split one thread into two, so maybe it would be simplest to perform the experiment and see what happens.

bob p 4/11/2018 6:01 PM
[QUOTE=Steve A.;492726]BTW here is another "forum quirk" which has been bugging me for awhile: after making a post in a thread if I click on Refresh it will not show me any posts made after I made that post.[/QUOTE] I see this all the time. Another one: if I'm using the "go advanced" method of editing a post, and I click on preview, I get a blank preview. I have to click on preview a second time to get the preview I was expecting. Firefox or Chrome, both the same for me.

Steve A. 4/11/2018 7:07 PM
[QUOTE=bob p;492735] [QUOTE=Steve A.;492725]As for not caring about leaving Mark behind I spent about 4 hours last night and this morning dealing with the problem he has been having.[/quote] I'm not accusing you of not caring about leaving Mark behind. But at the same time, I can't imagine why anyone would spend 4 hours trying to fix what experienced sysadmins recognize as a 5 minute problem. [/QUOTE] Yes, it took me about 5 minutes to investigate the Settings menu and figure out what Mark needs to do. The rest of the time was spent writing up detailed instructions with screen captures, following assorted tangents inspired by my investigations and eventually responding to the various posts which kept coming in later. BTW I was going to say "the issue" instead of "the problem he has been having" because it is much more complicated than that there have been some extremely vehement opinions expressed on both sides, often suggesting that the opposition are total idiots. So much for the laissez faire "live and let live" atmosphere that we all enjoy here so much... [I][B]Can't we all just get along??? [/B][/I] :spin: :spin: :spin: FWIW it seems like many of the people discussing this issue on the President Trump thread are not aware of the discussion going on in this thread and perhaps vice versa as well. Steve A. P.S. I had been thinking of sending a PM to Mark suggesting that we schedule a phone call to troubleshoot the problem with him at his computer. If neither of us had free calling to the other country we could also do that sending emails back and forth but it would take longer. Kinda like the old days when people would play chess by mailing each other their move...

bob p 4/12/2018 12:21 PM
If someone knows the fact-based nature of a problem, then a solution can be achieved directly using knowledge and experience; the benefit of this approach is that the process of addressing the problem is based upon knowing the answer and acting on it. If someone doesn't know the fact-based nature of a problem, then a solution can only be achieved indirectly by soliciting the opinion of an expert; the inherent flaw in this approach is that one has to expend a lot of energy trying to decide who is an expert and who's opinion they should trust. In the worst case scenario, not knowing how to directly solve a problem involves soliciting opinions from other people who don't know how to solve the problem and achieving a consensus of the uninformed.

Steve A. 4/12/2018 2:04 PM
Stuck on stickies...?
I hate stickies, too, but I have proposed one in the President Trump thread (which will be the first and hopefully only one in the Soap Box) as a compromise between the two factions on this issue. Closed threads by their nature will keep dropping further and further back because of the lack of activity. If the President Trump thread is left intact those earlier posts will be readily available as long as this thread is active. BTW there are two very active discussions on this issue going on in two threads right now: this one and the one in the President Trump thread. So some of the posts in that thread are actually in response to posts in this thread, like the one below which sparked the whole discussion over there. [url=http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new]President Trump[/url] [code]http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40352-new/[/code] BTW to get to the last page of any thread add "-new" to the end of the 5 digit T number in the "Thread URL" should take you to the last page of any thread here. Here is the post that started the discussion over there (FWIW I never suggested closing this thread, just splitting off the older posts.) [img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48426&d=1523559695[/img] Steve A. P.S. Remember the old days (i.e., the 90s) when instead of Bookmarks we would use text files with links that we'd click on to get to a particular website or webpage? (Or was that something that was used by just me?) In any case I have found that using such a list is the easiest way to scoot around at MEF. No need to go back to the forum index and click on the forum you want and then finally click on the thread you want. Especially if you click on the word "Forum" in the full "threadname" at the top of each page (like Forum -> Hang Out -> Parking Lot -> Soap Box -> President Trump) which takes you to the Activity Stream instead of the forum index page. Note: if you click on the word Forum on the 3-button bar at the top (after What's New? & Articles) you will actually get to the forum index. Woohoo! I will be posting a "cheat sheet" with the URLs for all of the active forums and subforums as well as some of the very active threads here. Hopefully in the next week or two... [img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48425&d=1523559695[/img] P.P.S. This post is an edited cross post from the President Trump thread because some people are reading this thread and not the other (or vice versa.) ● [ATTACH=CONFIG]48425[/ATTACH] .[ATTACH=CONFIG]48426[/ATTACH]

Steve A. 4/12/2018 2:26 PM
[QUOTE=bob p;492774]If someone knows the fact-based nature of a problem, then a solution can be achieved directly using knowledge and experience; the benefit of this approach is that the process of addressing the problem is based upon knowing the answer and acting on it. If someone doesn't know the fact-based nature of a problem, then a solution can only be achieved indirectly by soliciting the opinion of an expert; the inherent flaw in this approach is that one has to expend a lot of energy trying to decide who is an expert and who's opinion they should trust. In the worst case scenario, not knowing how to directly solve a problem involves soliciting opinions from other people who don't know how to solve the problem and achieving a consensus of the uninformed.[/QUOTE] True enough, Bob, but the discussion on this issue is certainly not fact-based. I know what needs to be done but I have not done it yet because I don't want to hear disgruntled grumblings from both sides, at least [b]after[/b] I do what needs to be done. I'd rather hear the complaints now and make concessions for the concerns posted. Besides, I have no idea what tools are available to prune 3300+ post threads besides deleting them one post at a time. There should be an on-line forum for the software used here which I hope will be helpful. Steve A.

Mark Hammer 4/14/2018 3:57 PM
I don't know what the hell happened, but the Trump thread now loads properly. Divine intervention?

Steve A. 4/14/2018 5:25 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hammer;493014]I don't know what the hell happened, but the Trump thread now loads properly. Divine intervention?[/QUOTE] Did you reboot your computer? Some changes don't take effect until you do that (although that should not be necessary just to reset the display mode here.) Or perhaps tboy heard your prayers and was able to heal your computer... All of this reminds me of my favorite inspirational movie, "God is my Co-processor." Steve A.

Enzo 4/14/2018 6:23 PM
Or it just worked itself out. I have complained of various issues on my computer here in the last couple years, and every one of them eventually solved itself without my input. But thank goodness we now have two threads, right?

Steve A. 4/15/2018 1:21 AM
[QUOTE=Enzo;493020]Or it just worked itself out. I have complained of various issues on my computer here in the last couple years, and every one of them eventually solved itself without my input. But thank goodness we now have two threads, right?[/QUOTE] If you did nothing I have a hunch that tboy went in and cleaned up your display settings. And perhaps he intervened in the past dealing with the other issues you have complained about. Or not. The Lord God Our Co-Processor works in mysterious ways... Steve A.