Sea Chief 11/14/2017 7:58 AM
FrankenSTRAT advice.
Chaps,

I have the basis I hope of a fine guitar, a wonderful sunburst strat body & a MIJ jazzmaster neck (on its way).. but need to get decent other bits I'm not so clued up on.

What exactly this body was ie whether one heck of a squier, a VG korean, or even fender usa I've no idea: it was just bought off ebay as a strat body. Probably the best body Ive ever come across, so Ive been lucky.

What I need to find out if I can is what it might be, are there any clues? also (mainly) its going to be alot easier to get the spot-on correct scratchplate for the holes to marry up to knowing exactly what it is.

Also pickups: what are the best VG sounding bang-for-buck fender p'ups to go for in your opinion? Im not in the know at all, I can only surmise maybe a MIM set of somesort? are lace sensor uncool thesedays enuf to score a bargain set? sounded VG from what I recall.

Thanks SC

ric 11/14/2017 8:58 AM
I had Lace Sensors in a Strat thru a Fender Ultimate Chorus and loved the tone. Sold the guitar, but I have a set of Lace Duallies and will put them in something someday, more than likely.

Bought a Strat at a pawn shop and thought the pickups sounded really good, opened it up and they have the initials A.Y. and the date. Now I know what all the fuss is about with Strat tone. Abigail Yabarra (hope I spelled that right) has retired, but if you can score a set I'd say they're worth looking for.

eschertron 11/14/2017 9:30 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
I had Lace Sensors in a Strat thru a Fender Ultimate Chorus and loved the tone. Sold the guitar, but I have a set of Lace Duallies and will put them in something someday, more than likely.

Bought a Strat at a pawn shop and thought the pickups sounded really good, opened it up and they have the initials A.Y. and the date. Now I know what all the fuss is about with Strat tone. Abigail Yabarra (hope I spelled that right) has retired, but if you can score a set I'd say they're worth looking for.
Don't keep us in suspense, what was the date?

ric 11/14/2017 9:49 AM
Quote Originally Posted by eschertron View Post
Don't keep us in suspense, what was the date?
11/14/06
11/9/06
11/10/06

Hey, happy eleventh birthday to one of my pickups.

Sea Chief 11/14/2017 11:17 AM
I should say Im not after the best pickups, as these might arguably be ric.. Im after the other end of the market: I need best bang-for-buck affordable ones. Looking at lace sensors it seems pricewise I was way off with these then/ so will forget that idea.

Justin Thomas 11/14/2017 11:21 AM
Without knowing what you mean by "affordable," I don't think you can go wrong with Seymour Duncans... Then again, you're in the UK, so I don't know what the prices are like there. As far as make and model, no clue. I've only got the ones in my Tele to go by.

Justin

big_teee 11/14/2017 11:31 AM
When you say frankenstrat, I think Eddie Van Halen and his 2 pickup Frankenstrat guitar.
Humbucker bridge, and single coil neck.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...h=530&dpr=1.09
If you're talking a regular 3 SC body with a mismatched neck, then it is a Partscaster.
It helps to clarify what you have, and what you are dealing with.
Pictures always help!
T

ric 11/14/2017 11:54 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Sea Chief View Post
I should say Im not after the best pickups, as these might arguably be ric.. Im after the other end of the market: I need best bang-for-buck affordable ones. Looking at lace sensors it seems pricewise I was way off with these then/ so will forget that idea.
Abigail's pickups were sold as aftermarket upgrades as were SRV "Texas Specials" etc.

They aren't made out of unobtainium. She wound them from the early years, but my guitar is recent and so are the pickups. She did retire, but they would still be available from somewhere.

I understand cost. I only can get what I can get a deal on.

J M Fahey 11/14/2017 1:53 PM
best bang-for-buck affordable ones
Three conflicting targets, and which depend a lot on personal preference, so itīs a tough to answer question.

eschertron 11/14/2017 2:41 PM
Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
Three conflicting targets, and which depend a lot on personal preference, so itīs a tough to answer question.
Agree, and add:
The best "bang-for-buck" pickups are the free ones. Divide by zero, no better option. If the pickups work in the guitar now, it would be them.
If you have a budget, though, then share some pickups that you've seen in that range. Then be prepared to discuss at length the pros and cons of each.

edit - I see Juan interpreted "best" as its own category. I assumed it indicated optimization, in the sense of "best practices"

Dave H 11/14/2017 4:33 PM
Also pickups: what are the best VG sounding bang-for-buck fender p'ups to go for in your opinion?
These from Ironstone sound just fine to me. Also check out the ones from Axetec

Sea Chief 11/15/2017 6:33 AM
thanks chaps- actually Dave H I have Ironstone's in & they sound fairly good.. but they dont fit the scratchplate c/o well (gaps) & are cheapest nasty whitey white placcy finish on them.

Strat p'ups should be, afair, NOT the same width ie they shoud be staggered sightly I think? these ironstones are all the same width so gaps occur esp in the neck p'ups cutout.. I wasnt impressed with this either tbh. I was thinking my superb bodkin + MIJ jazzyjobbie neck maybe deserves a step up from these.

Dave H 11/15/2017 10:17 AM
Strat p'ups should be, afair, NOT the same width ie they shoud be staggered sightly I think? these ironstones are all the same width
I thought all three pickups were the same width on a Strat but the the pole spacing was different (narrower at the neck). On the Ironstones the bridge and middle poles are the same width but the neck is narrower if I remember correctly.

Sea Chief 11/15/2017 11:07 AM
Ah ok.. then the scratchplate I have isnt right for the p'ups anyway, so may that Co can tell me what type for their p'ups: but then the holes will likely not marry up to the body holes. A partscaster is far more of a tricky proposition than I anticipated, I had to refettle the neck holes too iirc, then shave off some form the scratchplate = all a FAFF hence I want to start again.

Sea Chief 11/17/2017 1:35 AM
Ive got a more pressing issue 1st: the MIJ jazzmaster neck arrived & a fine neck it is, but the 4 neck holes do not marry up to the body. Now I had the same issue with the previous MIM neck I had on (too slim for me).. which were annoyingly only a few mm's off/ filled & redrilled the neck holes.. but not great results: not a dead-sure hole & so bolts never had the solidity they should have.

So this time the holes are further off (I can just see a bit of one neck hole, thru the body holes). Im loathed to 'ruin' the MIJ neck holes by re-plugging mainly as its worth 3x the body, & a well made item (in case I need to sell on at some stage too).

So is the idea of re-plugging then re-drilling the body holes feasable? Im not sure how Id get the perfect positions of the neck holes onto the body, as it'll be unseen/ covered of course.

Any ideas?

ric 11/17/2017 5:52 AM
To redrill the body holes (since they'll overlap) you'll want to plug them 1st. I'd flush the plugs on the finish side so any sanding/ shaving for length is on the raw wood inside the neck pocket.
You can insert cut nails or anything that fits your neck screw holes and protrudes a little. Then put the neck in the pocket and either press down good with your hands or tap it lightly with a deadblow or other plastic non marring hammer.
Then drill through from the pocket side with the finish side held firmly against a flat surface to minimise chipping.
Make sure your neck plate will cover your work. If not, I'd consider plugging and redrilling the neck.

Sea Chief 11/17/2017 11:34 PM
Thanks ric.. mm.. can do the body to a sufficient standard now: Im just reticent about the neck resale value if I dowel/ redrill the 4 holes 1/8" away from orig ones. The new holes bar one will just touch the dowell edges, bar one which will cut into it maybe 1/3rd. I can see it being a big prob getting the neck aligned perfectly doing the body, plus the finish is bound to bodge up around holes.

I did do this job before on the prior neck.. but I found the dowel I used poor quality (Id assume) as the new holes were not dead solid 1/2 into some of them.

What I need is a high quality very hard dowel to do the neck holes, ones that can be confidently redrilled bang into their centres if I need to sell neck on as was, or as resale-as-near-as-it-orig-was.

Anyone in UK got any dowels that fit the bill I could buy from them?

Dave H 11/18/2017 4:29 AM
I did do this job before on the prior neck.. but I found the dowel I used poor quality (Id assume) as the new holes were not dead solid 1/2 into some of them.

What I need is a high quality very hard dowel to do the neck holes, ones that can be confidently redrilled bang into their centres if I need to sell neck on as was, or as resale-as-near-as-it-orig-was.

Anyone in UK got any dowels that fit the bill I could buy from them?
On the last one I did I used several cocktail sticks tapped in and secured with Evostick Resin W wood glue. Cut them off flush with side cutters before the glue sets then sand it level after the glue dries. I had no problems. The cocktail sticks were very hard wood.

Sea Chief 11/18/2017 6:24 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
On the last one I did I used several cocktail sticks tapped in and secured with Evostick Resin W wood glue. Cut them off flush with side cutters before the glue sets then sand it level after the glue dries. I had no problems. The cocktail sticks were very hard wood.
But what if the new hole is on the edge of, or overlaps these cocktail sticks 'plug'? They will likely be compromised wouldn't they? where were your new holes relative to these?

Dave H 11/18/2017 10:13 AM
But what if the new hole is on the edge of, or overlaps these cocktail sticks 'plug'? They will likely be compromised wouldn't they? where were your new holes relative to these?
The holes were on the edge. I let the glue dry overnight before sanding then used an automatic centre punch and drilled a small pilot hole to make sure the drill didn't wander off. It was fine, the glue doesn't become hard and brittle and it stops the sticks splitting. I've done the same on scratchplate holes that didn't quite line up.

Sea Chief 11/18/2017 10:38 AM
Ah good idea re. the scratchplate holes.. these always concern me tbh.

Ok took the plunge with the cocktail sticks with 5 min cheapo epoxy.. & just finished in fact: results.. fantastic/ what a result. Neck plays a dream, minimal intonation adjustment tho plays good as is, just the 6 bridge H to lower by a tad.

I might keep these p'ups then (just found some off white covers that fit better) & just go for a really good scratchplate instead. Do squier plates (as is most likely this body so true a strat shape it is, & with body holes a bit off) & fender orig's marry up?

Then I need a good saddle/ whole bridge job. I wonder if my block it attatches to underneath (this I know is a chinese cheapo squier) will fit onto a fender bridge section? & then the Q is if a fender one fits the squier holes.. but maybe could do the cocktail stick trick again if not.

Then a fender nickel input oval thingy, fender nickel strap buttons- done.

Cheers- will post a pic tmrw of it so far.