big_teee 1/10/2013 1:35 PM
Electric Blues (Hot Guitar Lick Blues)
New Music Category.
This place has been pretty dead lately!
Thought maybe we need a new thread or two.
I love Electric Blues.
Hot Electric Guitar blues with some Rock influence.
Please no Country, and please go easy on the Delta Style blues.
Lots of hot electric blues music available for this category.
Please post your favorite hot lick video.
I will start it off with this one!

B_T

big_teee 1/11/2013 10:16 AM
Here's one with Joe Bonamassa and Singer Beth Hart, Doing an Old Otis Redding Song.
Not the best recording quality, but I really dig the Blues guitar solo a little over 3 minutes in.
Check it out.
Big Joe can play for me anytime.

Bruce / Mission Amps 1/11/2013 4:46 PM
OK all cool stuff... here's a quick clip I did with my blues band a few weeks ago at a local club in Denver...

Everybody should post some of their own playing too... just for the fun of it.

big_teee 1/12/2013 9:45 AM
This one is pretty lengthy, but we get to see the Master at work.
Red House.

Danelectron 1/25/2013 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=big_teee;287474]This one is pretty lengthy, but we get to see the Master at work.
Red House.

Love that crap! Reminds me of a tape a buddy gave me when he got out of the navy. It was from around '65. He picked it up over in the Pacific somewhere. Real bluesy. Before he started cascading 20 fuzz boxes and all that craziness that came later, though it all had it's place. Thanks!

big_teee 1/30/2013 10:06 PM
Eric C and Kind Hearted Woman.

Steve A. 2/7/2013 5:12 PM
Not a YouTube video but here's my 2003 demo on SoundCloud...

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...he-blue-guitar

Steve Ahola

P.S. The volume control is in the upper right corner.

big_teee 2/7/2013 6:06 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
Not a YouTube video but here's my 2003 demo on SoundCloud...

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...he-blue-guitar

Steve Ahola

P.S. The volume control is in the upper right corner.
Nice, and reminds me a lot of Robben Ford.

Bruce / Mission Amps 2/8/2013 1:10 AM
Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
Nice, and reminds me a lot of Robben Ford.

My blues band still does this song!! I like it a lot.

philbo 2/8/2013 5:14 AM
Here's one I did recently:
Fisher Blues by Philbo King

pdf64 2/8/2013 11:51 AM
Rory just rips on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xso5narGup4
being the studio version, he has fun with overdubs and digs out some unusual licks.
Pete

big_teee 2/8/2013 3:03 PM
Good stuff guys.
Keep it coming.
How about some English blues.
John Mayall and the blues breakers with Mick Taylor.
I like the guitar in this.
Like the Yard Byrds, so Many great Musicians went through the Blues Breakers, from time to time.

Danelectron 2/9/2013 10:03 AM
Johnny Winter & Derek Trucks - Highway 61 at Crossroads - YouTube

This guys right at the top of my blues list. Had the priveledge of seeing this show.

Not music, well a bit at the end, but interesting interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbT_oMoy6IQ

Steve A. 2/9/2013 12:17 PM
How about some English blues.
John Mayall and the blues breakers with Mick Taylor.
I like the guitar in this.
Damn, that is a good live recording from 1968! I had to track down the source and find more songs from that show- it looks like it was from Wolfgang's Vault:

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers | Fillmore Auditorium | San Francisco, CA | Feb 9, 1968 - wolfgangsvault.com

I saw John Mayall with Mick Taylor in SF in 1968 but it wasn't at the Fillmore and I don't remember them having horns. (It was some kind of one-off blues festival with someone like Albert King headlining the show- yes, my memory is like a steel trap! ) Mick Taylor was only 19- he was planted in his own corner of the stage and hardly moved- but there were incredible sounds coming out of his guitar!

It kinda blows me away knowing that the guitarist on that recording was a kid who just turned 19...

Steve Ahola

big_teee 2/9/2013 12:44 PM
Just an Instrumental, but good blues.
Really, from the Super Session.
If you Haven't Heard the whole "Super Session" album, I recommend downloading and listening to it!
Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Stephen Stills.

Steve A. 2/9/2013 1:51 PM
Just an Instrumental, but good blues.
Really, from the Super Session. If you haven't heard the whole "Super Session" album, I recommend downloading and listening to it!
Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Stephen Stills.
Here is Mike doing an extended version of a slow blues like "Really" with Barry Goldberg from "Two Jews Blues." Barry is a real bluesman who plays organ very well- no need to add horns to keep you from falling asleep during his solos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKuYO91lp8

Steve Ahola

P.S. For more Bloomfield here are YouTube "audios" of the full albums of Super Session and the Electric Flag's first album.

Super Session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0MR6mSqyA

Electric Flag (A Long Time Comin'):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfX7vn_c2z4

I couldn't find the full album for "East-West" from Paul Butterfield but here are some of the individual tracks:

East-West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV-S5ivX3E

I Got A Mind To Give Up Livin':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHXVfqpm0I

Work Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2JAA47

Here is the live version of "I Got A Mind To Give Up Livin'" recorded in April 1996 at the Unicorn Coffee House in Boston with an amazing solo from Mike starting about 3 minutes into the song:

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/paul...d-blues-band-i

big_teee 2/9/2013 2:41 PM
Here is Mike doing an extended version of a slow blues like "Really" with Barry Goldberg from "Two Jews Blues." Barry is a real bluesman who plays organ very well- no need to add horns to keep you from falling asleep during his solos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKuYO91lp8

Steve Ahola

P.S. For more Bloomfield here are YouTube "audios" of the full albums of Super Session and the Electric Flag's first album.

Super Session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0MR6mSqyA

Electric Flag (A Long Time Comin'):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfX7vn_c2z4

I couldn't find the full album for "East-West" from Paul Butterfield but here are some of the individual tracks:

East-West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV-S5ivX3E

I Got A Mind To Give Up Livin':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHXVfqpm0I

Work Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2JAA47

Here is the live version of "I Got A Mind To Give Up Livin'" recorded in April 1996 at the Unicorn Coffee House in Boston with an amazing solo from Mike starting about 3 minutes into the song:

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/paul...d-blues-band-i
I wonder what Amp Mike B. Used?
He always gets a tone, You don't hear often.
Also when he is on the bridge P/U, it is very sharp and trebbly.
Guess he was playing real PAFs?
T

Steve A. 2/9/2013 4:08 PM
I wonder what Amp Mike B. Used?
He always gets a tone, You don't hear often.
Also when he is on the bridge P/U, it is very sharp and trebbly.
Guess he was playing real PAFs?
T
Live he always wanted to use a pair of Twin Reverbs although he did switch to Acoustic SS amps in 1969 because they were louder. He retired from the rock scene in the early 70's and pretty much invented "Americana", which was made up of various sources of roots music (blues, country, gospel, New Orleans, etc.) When I saw him in the mid-70's he was playing a strat plugged into a Fender tweed amp.

For the recordings with Paul Butterfield he used a tele and a gold top LP with P-90s, which he traded with Dan Erlewhine for his trademark '59 Sunburst which is what he played on his well-known recordings for Columbia. In the mid 70's a musician friend asked about his LP and learned that the neck had been broken off twice- right at the heel. The second time Mike didn't bother to have it repaired- he just put the neck back on with electrical tape. Very hard to read that without breaking out in tears. I read that it was eventually lost to a club owner in Canada (I think Mike had skipped out on a gig leaving the guitar behind and the owner kept it as compensation.)

Lots of information about him on this site:

*Mike Bloomfield Biography

And this other site has a very extensive listing of his gigs and his recordings:

Discography 1958-1965

Steve Ahola

big_teee 2/13/2013 6:25 PM
Can't have Electric Blues without some SRV & Double Trouble!
Texas Flood!

Steve A. 2/14/2013 3:25 PM
Can't have Electric Blues without some SRV & Double Trouble!
Texas Flood!
When I first heard "Texas Flood" on SRV's first album it really blew me away because I had never ever heard anyone capturing the sound of Albert King (there were plenty of great blues guitarists but none that I knew of who could get that AK tone.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. I didn't realize that the BBS software here at the Music Electronics Forum could insert widgets to play videos in the posts here like Facebook does (one of the few features I really like in Facebook.) I hate the whole concept behind Facebook (let's get rich from our users' data!) and I would like to see a BBS-style forum which would support an easy migration from FB. Most of the people I know there would hate to have to start all over again on another website, building up a network of friends again. So how about a new website which would optionally send invites to all of your FB friends when you joined? My other big complaint about FB is that it is such a bandwidth hog trying to keep the wandering attention span of the post-Nintendo generations. There are pictures and avatars that pop up left and right as you try to navigate through a page, I suppose to keep the visitor entertained. I just want the content there (the discussions and PMs) without all of the damned bells and whistles- like it is here at the Musical Electronics Forum. Although I know it would be hard to write the BBS software that could handle millions of users...

Steve Ahola

big_teee 2/14/2013 4:08 PM
It's real easy to insert and embed a Youtube video.
At Youtube, you play your video.
Right click and copy the video url.
Then here at the reply, click on the insert video symbol and insert the saved video url.
I always preview the post, to make sure the vid is there.
Any Robert Cray Fans out there.
I have most of his CDs.

Danelectron 2/14/2013 4:12 PM
Some of the most electric vocals in the land. These guys helped shape my youth.
Lord Have Mercy On My Soul or Halls Of Karma - YouTube

This ones more honky than electric but fun anyway.

Harry Nilsson - You're Breakin' My Heart - YouTube

Steve A. 2/14/2013 5:03 PM
It's real easy to insert and embed a Youtube video...
That is what I gathered looking at the text of your post. I've been inserting YouTubeos with the URL tag so they just appear as links. I learned something today- thanks!

Steve

big_teee 2/15/2013 1:49 PM
Heard this today on Sirius Radio and it still sounds great.
I think it was the summer of 1990 when this came out.
Gary Moore and his hot guitar blew me away.

Steve A. 2/15/2013 7:52 PM
Heard this today on Sirius Radio and it still sounds great.
I think it was the summer of 1990 when this came out. Gary Moore and his hot guitar blew me away.
I first heard "Still Got The Blues" when I was driving around in a company van with just a radio in 1990. I was tuned to the Top 40/Classic Rock station and I thought it was Carlos Santana with a new vocalist.
After getting the album I picked up the "Gary Moore and the Midnight Blues Band" VHS tape which was recorded live with Albert King and Albert Collins. Great stuff!

big_teee 2/19/2013 12:21 PM
Heard this on the Sirius Blues Channel.
A Blues Cover tune done by many, Including Muddy Waters.

big_teee 3/5/2013 11:28 AM
Heard this today on Sirius Blues Channel!
Albert King, and SRV.
Sounds pretty good to me!
Keep Bluesing!

Steve A. 3/5/2013 4:28 PM
Heard this today on Sirius Blues Channel!
Albert King, and SRV.
Sounds pretty good to me!
Keep Bluesing!
Ever notice how white blues artists almost always wear their own distinctive hats? In most cases I would say "zany hats" but SRV's hat is just plain cool!

Steve

big_teee 3/8/2013 10:48 AM
ALVIN LEE
The Great Alvin Lee-RIP.

big_teee 3/11/2013 1:14 PM
Heard this today On the Sirius Blues Channel.
Rolling Stones with Eric C.

Diablo 3/21/2013 5:36 PM
OK, I'm a Peter Green junky:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - You Need Love (Whole Lotta Love) - YouTube

And a little Otis Rush:

Otis Rush: I`Cant Quit You Baby - YouTube

Steve A. 3/21/2013 8:28 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Wow- I hadn't heard that one before! Evidently it was from a live-in-the-studio radio broadcast in Aberdeen on 06/23/69 (which are usually the best live recordings from back then as audience recordings were usually pretty primitive.) I found a whole shitload of FM shows from 1969 on DIME but not that one, the details of which are spelled out here:

Fleetwood Mac 06/23/1969

I did find what purports to be a live version of Albatross filmed at BBS in 1970 for the Old Grey Whistle Test. It sounds almost identical to the studio version but I think I do hear some slight variations in phrasing. In any case it is interesting to see how the band played the songs (the guitar positions, etc.) That is one of those songs that sounds so perfect that I can't imagine anyone playing it live but it looks like they did...

Thanks for the posting the link!

Steve Ahola

P.S. I did find a dl of the Aberdeen show in mp3 format: w*.f*.com/file/cca6cdc/n/FMacMeanOldWorld.z*
(Send me a PM if you can't figure out the code.) BTW the song titles are mangled up.

EDIT One review of "Mean Old World" suggested that it was a collection of various BBC recordings. Although most of the songs sound like they were recorded at the same time there were some that had piano and one or two that sounded like they were vinyl-sourced. My guess is that it was basically what was recorded for broadcast on Radio Aberdeen with a few other BBC recordings mixed in.

big_teee 3/22/2013 9:57 AM
Here's one of my favorite guitarist.
Johnny winter.
I love the guitar tones he gets in this song.
Wonder what Amp he's using?
Can't really tell what's behind him?
Maybe a Vox.

Danelectron 3/28/2013 11:17 PM
STEVE MARRIOTT - Five Long Years (1985) - YouTube

Steve Marriot!

big_teee 3/30/2013 3:32 PM
Heard this today on Sirius Blues.
Always liked the Yardbirds "The Nazz Are Blue".

Steve A. 3/31/2013 12:05 PM
Heard this today on Sirius Blues.
Always liked the Yardbirds "The Nazz Are Blue".
For us blokes in the US this song was not available until the release of the "Golden Eggs of the Yardbirds" bootleg. It was originally released in the UK on "Roger the Engineer," one of the many songs that were not included on US release of "Over Under Sideways Down." Here is a link to "Roger The Engineer" in its entirety:

Springboard Records released an LP with outtakes from the "Roger the Engineer" sessions which were basically instrumentals with Jeff Beck overdubbing leads on the rhythm tracks. Very interesting to hear the ideas going through Jeff's head back then.

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a3tNGhWFL._SL500_SX300_.jpg[/IMG]

Steve Ahola

big_teee 4/1/2013 4:43 PM
For My Avatar's Sake!
Here's raw Led Zeppelin in a Demo tape.
The Greatness shines through!
IMO One of the best Rock & Blues vocals of all time!
Robert Plant is great on the Mouth Harp too!

big_teee 4/4/2013 11:25 AM
Great guitar licks!
Johnny Winter.
"It's my own Fault"

big_teee 4/6/2013 2:20 PM
Heard this on Sirius blues channel.
I have this somewhere on a CD.
Great Guitar licks.

gayler 4/12/2013 7:57 PM
Marquise Knox "Love making machine" - YouTube

big_teee 4/12/2013 9:18 PM
Heard this on a Blues Station.
Check out the slide Guitar.
Junior Wells-"Why are People Like That?"

big_teee 4/13/2013 12:01 PM
More Blue Channel discoveries.
Check out this Guitar!
Tommy Castro, Jimmy Hall & Lloyd Jones
"Be Careful with a Fool"

Steve A. 4/13/2013 5:24 PM
Heard this on a Blues Station.
Check out the slide Guitar.
Junior Wells-"Why are People Like That?"
That is Sonny Landreth the slide guitarist from Louisiana with that swampy sound. "South of I-10" was his breakthrough album- it is a good one to start off with. He wrote "Congo Square" for the Neville Brothers. As far as I know he is the one who invented the revolutionary new slide guitar technique of fretting BEHIND the bar, which for example would allow you to change a major chord to a minor chord. Between him and Derek Trucks slide guitar has been changed very radically over the past 15 years or so.

So what Blues Station?

Steve

Steve A. 4/13/2013 5:36 PM
More Blue Channel discoveries.
Check out this Guitar!
Tommy Castro, Jimmy Hall & Lloyd Jones
"Be Careful with a Fool"
Tommy's really great- local boy does good. You may have seen him on Comedy Showcase in the mid-90's right after Saturday Night Live- his band was the house band. I remember listening to that show while working on the Torres' SuperTexan mod of an old Fender Pro Reverb that I had hacked up in the early 80's trying to turn it into a Mesa Boogie running the Normal Channel preamp into the Vibrato Channel (something that I read about in an electronics magazine) knowing absolutely nothing about guitar amps and the proper safety procedures.

Steve

big_teee 4/14/2013 5:30 PM
Any Shreveport LA, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Fans out there?
"Shotgun Blues"

big_teee 4/18/2013 12:13 PM
Here's some pretty good Hot Lick Blues Guitar.
Jimmy Dawkins.
"Blues With A Feeling"

big_teee 4/25/2013 11:47 AM
Not sure if this is Blues, or Country, or both.
Any Roy Buchanan Fans out there?
I'm one in limited quanities.
"John's Blues"

big_teee 4/27/2013 5:30 PM
One of my favorite Modern Day Guitar Players!
Joe Bonamassa!
"Three Times a Fool"

big_teee 5/1/2013 5:14 PM
Remember this one?
The Late Great Duane Allman!
"No Money Down"

Steve A. 5/2/2013 7:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned Mick Taylor yet? I was just listening to him on the CD of the John Mayall Bluesbreaker Reunion concert in Russia in 1982- incredible slide guitar and regular guitar. His vibrato is to die for, going all of the way back to him playing Love In Vain with the Rolling Stones in 1969:

"My Time After Awhile" is a real showcase for him from the 1982 concert:

JOHN MAYALL From the LP-RETURN OF THE BLUESBREAKERS--MY TIME AFTER AWHILE. - YouTube

And here is the whole album one side at a time:

JOHN MAYALL LP-RETURN OF THE BLUESBREAKERS SIDE-1. - YouTube

JOHN MAYALL LP-RETURN OF THE BLUESBREAKERS...FEATURING MICK TAYLOR SIDE-2. - YouTube

If you like that you can order it from Amazon well worth the price for a used copy:

Amazon.com: 1982 Reunion Concert: John Mayall & Bluesbreakers: Music

Getting back to Mick Taylor he is one of the members of the British Blues explosion who has stayed faithful to the blues for all of these years and just keeps getting better and better (I think that he smoked the other guitarists at the John Mayall 70th Anniversary Concert.) Although there haven't been very many studio recordings of him in the past 30 years he has been very popular with the trading community- I just checked over at DIME and they have 103 live shows with him on guitar.

While everybody knows about "Crusade" (Mick's studio album with Mayall) he was also on the "Diary of a Band" live albums volumes 1 and 2 which were originally available only as imports. Kinda boring as I recall but you might need to know that in a trivia contest.

I did get to see Mick with John Mayall at a one-off blues festival in SF in 1968 (I think that Albert King was the headliner.) Watching him play I was surprised that he hardly moved at all from his spot on-stage but sure as hell played up a real storm.

Steve Ahola

big_teee 5/2/2013 8:48 PM
Here is another version of The same song, guitar solo is by Mick Taylors replacement!
Ronnie Woods and the Faces, Featuring Rod Stewart on Vocals.
IMO A fantastic group, with more of an underground following.
I love the tone of the Ron Woods Armstrong plexiglass guitar.
"Love In Vain"

Steve A. 5/4/2013 3:10 PM
Here is another version of The same song, guitar solo is by Mick Taylors replacement!
Ronnie Woods and the Faces, Featuring Rod Stewart on Vocals.
I really liked Ron Woods in the Faces and on bass with the first Jeff Beck Group but never thought much of him in the Stones- he was the guitarist who wasn't Keith Richards... But that could just be from my pro Taylor bias.

It was a shame how Jagger and Richards hogged all of the very lucrative songwriting credits (most bands never get much from royalties on album sales but if they write a song that gets covered and played a lot they might even be able to quit their day jobs. ) Mick Taylor didn't just play guitar solos on the Stones songs- in many cases it was his guitar arrangement that made the song a big hit, a part that he added to the song which became an integral part of the song. I might even go so far as to suggest that without Taylor's contributions I really doubt that the Stones would have never reached their 10 year anniversary.

I was looking for the version of "Have You Heard" from the Mayall Russian concert album but found this bootleg audio version from 1983 which is pretty amazing. No slide on this one, just really good playing which is not a derivative of the original version with Clapton on guitar.

Steve

big_teee 5/4/2013 3:36 PM
Mick Taylor is great, but I'll take Ronnie anyday.
Jagger and Richards, always kept Ronnie Woods on a tighter leash than they did the other Lead Axe Men of previous days.
Ronnie Doesn't care.
Don Henley and Glenn Frey did the same thing with the Eagles.
Everyone in the Eagles were a legend, but it all revolved around the decisions of Don and Glenn.
Everything is around Jagger and Richards with the Stones.
Ronnie can play with anyone if he is let loose.
Speaking of the BloosBrakers, I liked this Lineup!
"All Your Love"

big_teee 5/4/2013 3:43 PM
Speaking of the BoozeBreakers, listen to the guitar in this.
"So Many Roads"

Steve A. 5/4/2013 3:49 PM
Has anybody mentioned Matt Scofield? Reminds me of Robben Ford but I think that he has a better blues sensibility, something that Ford had in the 70's and 80's before he got so obsessed with his Dumble tone...

Same video but this is his last solo 7 minutes into the song, channeling Albert King and every other great blues guitarist known to mankind...

Matt Schofield Band - Lay It Down - Bluesfestival Gaildorf 2009 - YouTube

Best.blues.guitar.solo.ever is what I think every time I listen to that song!

A quote from a forum about that video and Matt:
"Matt was doing exactly what the blues needs. Giving it a breath of fresh air without going too far into rock or jazz. That idea of tradition being keeping the flame alive instead of worshiping the ashes. The more people hear the truth in his playing, the emotional content (as Bruce Lee would say), the better off the blues will be. I hope he gets into the festival circuit soon and shows people where the music is."

Steve Ahola

P.S. There are a million live videos of Matt on YouTube but this is the one that really knocked me out in 2010 before he was so well known outside of England. Speaking of millions of videos I wish that we could filter out the crappy ones recorded on cell phones! In audience recordings you do expect to hear the audience but when you can't hear the band clearly- it being just like mud-why even bother uploading it to YouTube. (The only way I could find this particular video was by looking up a link on another forum posted in 2010.)

big_teee 5/4/2013 5:25 PM
Here's a guy that can plays the blues with anyone.
He gets off on some fairy dust tangents from time to time, but when he wants to he is a rock solid blues player.
John Mayer.
With some Blues Ramblin!

big_teee 5/11/2013 4:43 PM
Heard this one today.
Allman Bros.
"Hoochie Coochie Man" 1970
I think it's Duane singing, and it sounds a lot like Johnny Winters.

big_teee 5/13/2013 12:52 PM
Heard this on the Blues station, so it's got to be Blues right? lol
I guess we will call it New Orleans Blues.
I like the beat in this one, but not much guitar.
Dr. John. "Qualified"
I liked the version on the blues channel Better than this one, but this is the one I could find.

Steve A. 5/13/2013 6:23 PM
Heard this on the Blues station, so it's got to be Blues right? lol
I guess we will call it New Orleans Blues.
Blues used to be "a much bigger tent" than it is now. Live recordings of Muddy Waters shows from the mid-60's have his band members singing songs at the beginning of each set- more often than not current soul hits. There was a live James Cotton album from the late 60's which had them playing Frank Sinatra's hit, "It Was A Very Good Year." The general idea was that if you played a song with a blues sensitivity it was blues.

New Orleans music is its own genre. Like the Meters. "Cissy Strut" is a popular song at blues jams. New Orleans music has that "second line" beat which refers to the brass band playing in the streets on the way back from the cemetery after a funeral which was a joyful occasion (the music was very sad on the way to the cemetery.) You can hear that beat going back to Fats Dominos singles in the 50's. A very relaxed yet very tight beat...

The Meters and Neville Brothers are not known for playing 12 bar blues but their music is dripping with that blues sensibility- as in Rhythm and Blues from the 40's and 50's which had a much different feel than the jazz of that time period...

For a different take on "Qualified" here is a live version by the Tedeschi Trucks Band from October 2011...

Thanks for the post!

John_H 5/14/2013 2:02 AM
Every time a viagra commercial comes on, I want to hear some Howlin' Wolf.

big_teee 5/14/2013 9:36 AM
Back to the Electric guitar blues, I've been on a Allbro Kick lately.
Duane played the slide before it was cool and an everyday thing.
I've Heard this song a million or two times, but I still like it!
"Statesboro Blues"

Steve A. 6/8/2013 10:05 PM
Albert King- Personal Manager (recorded May 17, 1967 during same session as "Born Under A Bad Sign")

This song was very special in the singles sessions he made for Stax Records because he got to take an extra chorus for his solo- he was so hot how could you flag him down to stop playing and return to the vocals? Or maybe they tried but he just ignored them. In any case there is real spontaneity when he jumps into the second chorus because I am sure that it was unplanned.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I wore out my original mono copy of "Born Under A Bad Sign" and on this song it'd get stuck on "can do for you, do for you, do for you..." I can't listen to the song today 45 years later without wanting to get up and nudge the tone arm.

dmartn149 6/8/2013 10:36 PM
Not really a "blues band" but I've liked this song for a long time.

big_teee 6/18/2013 9:53 AM
I heard this on Sirius Blues Channel today, and thought it had a catchy beat.
Otis Spann! "Mule Kicking in My Stall"

rjb 6/18/2013 10:09 AM
Whining
Is it just me, or do these pages with a lot of videos inserted take forever to load?
Does it have to do with using "video" tags?
For Youtube videos, I generally copy and paste the url, inserting a link to the video page.
That does mean it takes 2 clicks to play the vid, but I think it also makes the page load faster.
Does anyone know for sure?

big_teee 6/18/2013 10:14 AM
Quote Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Is it just me, or do these pages with a lot of videos inserted take forever to load?
Does it have to do with using tags?
For Youtube videos, I generally copy and paste the url - shows up as a link to the video.
That does mean it takes 2 clicks to play the vid, but I think it also makes the page load faster.
Does anyone know for sure?
Works great here. You must be using the 2 Cans and the Waxed String and a 14.4 Dialup!
Another way to do it is to click on the enbedded vid, then when it starts, click on the youtube tab at the bottom of the vid.
That takes you direct to Youtube, and away from the forum, on my box, in a separate Tab.
T

rjb 6/18/2013 10:18 AM
Works great here. You must be using the 2 Cans and the Waxed String and a 14.4 Dialup!
We've got Verizon FIOS, but whatever- not worth worrying about...

big_teee 6/18/2013 7:56 PM
Here's another Otis Spann with Peter Green.
"Ain't nobody's Bussiness"

Chuck H 6/19/2013 12:12 AM
How'd this guy get missed so far!?!

see the light Jeff healey & dr john & marcus miller & steve jordan - YouTube

big_teee 6/19/2013 11:08 AM
Here's a English Blues band from the 70s, that I always thought was underated.
Savoy Brown. "It Hurts me Too"
I love the Guitarist Controled Feedback, sounds Marshally to me.

dmartn149 6/21/2013 10:47 PM
Here's a young'un

Chuck H 6/21/2013 11:34 PM
Das' my girl!!! I really think she's cool. The real deal fo' shizzle. Young, tough and plays A LOT! That's what rock is made of. Carlos Santana said, Re: Orianthi, It's not just cute anymore." I agree. It's not "just" cute. But it IS cute too!!! And "not just." It can't be easy getting billed as a novelty when your the real article.

dmartn149 6/22/2013 9:01 AM
Looked like she has been trying to be a pop star for the last couple of years, with only minor success. Sure can play that guitar though. I'm wishing her nothing but success.

big_teee 6/22/2013 9:10 AM
Always been a huge Paul Rodgers Fan.
He Did a Muddy Waters Tribute album back in the 90s, with different Featured Guitarists.
Here's one I like with David Gilmour.
"Standing Around Crying"

rjb 6/22/2013 10:55 AM
Inside joke (kinda).
Luther Perkins - Blues For Two (Instrumental) - YouTube

rjb 6/22/2013 11:08 AM
Always been a huge Paul Rodgers Fan.
Free associating: Paul Rodgers -> Roy Rogers (not the TV cowboy).
First heard him in a San Francisco dive, early '80s
A random Youtube vid:
Roy Rogers (slide guitar) - Walkin Blues - YouTube

big_teee 6/22/2013 11:20 AM
Inside joke (kinda).
I think your stalking and Trolling me!

rjb 6/22/2013 4:10 PM
I think your stalking and Trolling me!
Ribbing, maybe. Stalking & trolling certainly wasn't my intent!

-rb

big_teee 7/1/2013 11:16 AM
Heard this today.
Tommy Castro "I may be Broke, But I'm Not Broken"
His Vocal sounds a lot like Delbert McClinton IMO.
Not the best recording, but the best I could find.
The version on the Sirius Blues Channel was much better.

Steve A. 7/1/2013 2:00 PM
Heard this today.
Tommy Castro "I may be Broke, But I'm Not Broken"
To skip over the first 90 seconds and go directly to the song click on this link:

"I May Be Broke, But I'm Not Broken" Tommy Castro Band LIVE - YouTube

(That trick does not work if you use the VIDEO tags here. I tried.)

Local boy makes good- Tommy was born and raised here in the Bay Area. Probably the most prominent contemporary blues artist who grew up around here (there are many who moved here like Elvin Bishop.) Here is a good version of "Nasty Habits" from the October 2010 Blues Cruise which incidentally was filmed (see the bottom link.)

I first heard Tommy on "Comedy Showcase" Saturday nights after SNL in the mid-90's. I'd be listening to that show while learning about guitar amps as I was trying out different mods from the Torres amp book. In interviews Tommy back then said that he came up with his own style because he couldn't copy the blues greats like the 3 Kings and the 2 Alberts- all 4 of them.

Just like Chris Isaacs and his Silvertones a decade earlier the Tommy Castro Band was known as the hardest working band in the Bay Area- he certainly paid his dues. The first time I saw him was in 2005 and I was really impressed by how tight they were. They were using in-ear monitors which allowed them to have perfect harmonies and perfect timing. They have always played a blend of blues and soul music- 12 bar blues tends to get a bit boring. And while he was very humble about his guitar talents in the mid 90's he has become a very well-respected guitarist. I'd hear live recordings... "Who is that?" "Tommy Castro" "Wow- he is really good!" He is always surprising me with the things that he comes up with.

Here is the video from the October 2010 Blues Cruise- you can a free copy of it if you pay $6.50 for shipping and handling (I just ordered my own copy.)

All Jams On Deck DVD | Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise

I've been tempted to go on one of these blues cruises- there is music somewhere on board 24 hours a day (and quite often in more than one place.) They even have some of the performances piped into the rooms. You can always find a jam going on to listen to or join. The invited artists love the cruises because it sure beats driving from town to town for gigs. The cruises cost something like $1500 or $2000 so they do get paid fairly well with all of that money coming in. Its like a whole season of blues festivals across the country rolled into one.

Steve Ahola

big_teee 7/1/2013 2:11 PM
Back on my Blues Kick.
Here's a Robert Cray song I'm not familiar with.
I have most of his earlier CDs.
None in the past few years.
Love to hear him play the Stratocaster.
Robert Cray "Chicken in the Kitchen"

d. spree 11/7/2013 2:44 PM
Here's some pretty good Hot Lick Blues Guitar.
Jimmy Dawkins.
"Blues With A Feeling"

Love Jimmy fast fingers dawkins. here's some Magic Sam

Magic Sam ~ All Your Love and Lookin' Good - YouTube

big_teee 11/7/2013 4:50 PM
Let's keep it going, with some English Blues.
Beano, Blues Breaker style.
Clapton/Mayall/Bluesbreakers
"All Your Love"

Jazz P Bass 11/7/2013 6:19 PM
That was a different version.
Thanks.
I am used to this one: All Your Love --- John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - YouTube

Here is a pretty mean 'Stormy Monday' by EC with John M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Az7sLKGOUe8

big_teee 11/7/2013 6:53 PM
That is a great version of Stormy Monday.
I always think of the AllBros. and Duane when I hear Stormy Monday.
Here's a version of AllBros later Lineup minus Duane, and D. B.
With E.C. standing in.

Jazz P Bass 11/7/2013 8:22 PM
Oh, that is sweet.

Jazz P Bass 11/8/2013 6:41 PM
Now I am on a Clapton kick.
Cream live at the Albert Hall, 2005
Cream Live in the Royal Albert Hall Part 1 - YouTube

Steve A. 11/14/2013 7:39 PM
Robben Ford live in France 2004... "Prison of Love"

He has definitely taken electric blues to a really high and unique place!

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 11/14/2013 8:07 PM
Another tune from the 2004 Robben Ford concert... "Indianola"

Steve Ahola

big_teee 11/25/2013 7:25 PM
As Muddy Waters Said, "Blues Had a Baby, and they called it Rock and Roll"
I think this one applies to both blues and Rock.
Led Zeppelin, "I can't quit you baby"

d. spree 11/26/2013 9:20 AM
As Muddy Waters Said, "Blues Had a Baby, and they called it Rock and Roll"
I think this one applies to both blues and Rock.
Led Zeppelin, "I can't quit you baby"

Which reminds me - I'm a huge blues traditionalist - i.e. love the original chicago and texas sounds and especially the west side soul sound and separately T-Bone style. However, I also love and am listening a lot to James Blood Ulmer - his memphis sun sessions (memphis blood) and his new york city blues sessions at electric lady studios (no escape from the blues). He does a superb and very different take on the blues had a baby . . . can't find good you tube videos of him however. You tube says it has no postings but the album song is really fun. I love his original yet "true" take on the blues feel. Not bad for a crazy funky free jazz guy!

oc disorder 11/27/2013 5:33 PM
Although it's mainly distorted hammond this shows the evolution of Whole Lotta Love
Stevie Marriott had a huge voice .. and according to rumor, was considered for Jimmy Pages new band...
The Small Faces seemed to be more than just a pop band back in the 60's , just before I took an interest in the blues.
The Small Faces - You Need Loving
The Small Faces - You Need Loving - YouTube

I found this interesting 6 parts - How Britain Got The Blues 01
Published on Sep 8, 2013
Was it the drabness of post-war austerity or the influx of blues records coming across by boat? Whatever, this is a film that any blues lover should watch. Featuring the likes of Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Chris Barber and Paul Jones, this tells the story of how Britain got the Blues and shipped it back to the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_l3YLLUBE

big_teee 11/27/2013 8:48 PM
I've always been a huge Steve M. Fan, a Hell of a Guitar player too.
Here he is just doing back up vocals, but playing lead guitar.
"Slow Down"

big_teee 12/12/2013 11:10 AM
Been listening to a lot of the old 60s rock festival music.
I ran across this by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
This was at the Monterey 1967 Festival.
1967 was the year I graduated H.S. and went into the Army.
Viet Nam was going strong and on everyones minds!
"Driftin' Blues"

big_teee 12/31/2013 9:20 AM
Heard this on the Sirius Deep Tracks.
I haven't heard this in Years!
Boz Scaggs and Duane Allman.
"Loan Me a Dime"
I'm calling this Electric Blues instead of Rock today!

The Dude 1/15/2014 9:23 PM
OK so this isn't hard core blues, but blues influenced for sure and IMO Barry Bailey of ARS is one of the most overlooked and underrated guitar players ever.

2 different versions- same song- two different solos- tone spilling out onto the stage.

Atlanta Rhythm Section "So Into You" BBC 1977 - YouTube

So Into You (may1992) - Atlanta Rhythm Section - YouTube

big_teee 5/17/2014 11:42 PM
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers w/Gary Moore.
"How Many Roads"
Gary Moore RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xBat7cNjmpo

dmartn149 5/30/2014 11:19 PM
This Steve Miller performance isn't as hot as I remembered it, but I still like it anyway.
Steve Miller - Blues Without Blame - Audio - YouTube

big_teee 5/31/2014 12:40 AM
I do dig Steve Miller!
Here's Mr Gregg Allman!
"Checking on my Baby"

big_teee 6/3/2014 10:59 AM
More Gregg Allman and Company.
Always liked his version of this song.
"Not My Cross to Bear"

Mark Hammer 6/3/2014 11:06 AM
Frank Zappa used to mention this tune as a sort of benchmark. I'm not sure why, but the tone just sounds "angrier" in my car stereo than it does here, but the Youtube still holds up. It's some seriously frantic playing.

Mark Hammer 6/3/2014 11:17 AM
I'm not sure Robin Trower has ever done anything better than this superbly constructed, and very soulful, solo on the first Procol Harum album.

big_teee 6/3/2014 11:17 AM
More modern blues.
"Come Into My Kitchen"

[

big_teee 6/3/2014 11:21 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
I'm not sure Robin Trower has ever done anything better than this superbly constructed, and very soulful, solo on the first Procol Harum album.

This is not blues!
This is supposed to be a Blues Thread this is rock and roll.
We have other Rock threads, like the 60s and 70s thread.

Mark Hammer 6/3/2014 12:23 PM
But neither is Sony Landreth or Robben Ford, if one wants to apply strict criteria. Indeed, a lot of the contemporary guitar-slingers wouldn't fit in.

I concur that the chord progression, the little Bach piano breaks, and such, are most definitely NOT "blues". There is no way I could ever mistake them for Willie Dixon. But Trower was, is, and will be, very much a blues player who turns to blues licks - no less than Jeff Beck - and this tune is chock-a-block with them. Listen closely and there is a whole heap of Albert King in there.

But, to yield a little, how's this for the more familiar. Gotta love that little "whoop!" that forms part of the signature riff.

Mark Hammer 6/3/2014 12:26 PM
Does this work for ya? For me, a great blues lick has to have a moment where it just fries your brain - completely piths you. And this one takes the power drill and sinks it into my head again and again and again.

big_teee 6/3/2014 12:45 PM
Danny Gatton, No, That is not blues to me! I guess you can call it what you want.
I would call that Country Western, too much twang, not blues.
The Beano Album gets my vote, but it has that slow down blues tone!

big_teee 6/3/2014 12:57 PM
This is Rock/Blues that IMO is the epitome of Electric Blues!
This is an old Delta Blues Tune, and has that slow blues beat, but has that sizzle!
Led Zeppelin "She Shook Me"

John_H 6/3/2014 2:02 PM
The Yardbirds / Smokestack Lightning AKA The Viagra song

big_teee 6/3/2014 2:55 PM
One of my favorite Electric Hot Lick Blues Players Johnny Winter.
"Don't take advantage of Me"

tedmich 6/3/2014 6:23 PM

Telecaster Master, RIP

big_teee 6/13/2014 4:50 PM
Check this out!
The Guess Who, "Humpty's Blues"
Great Stuff.
I dig the Burton Cummings Vocals.

Mark Hammer 6/14/2014 12:41 PM
The late great Dominic Troiano. He's one of the only "bigshot" guitar players I ever saw using a BC Rich live. I think it was a BC Rich Seagull. I seem to recall reading that he liked them because he liked a wider fingerboard. Can't say that I blame him.

Same guitar player as on this nugget of Canadiana (which I may have already posted).

dmartn149 6/14/2014 6:46 PM

big_teee 6/14/2014 7:11 PM
Keep it coming.
Here's ole Kenny Wayne from Shrevesport LA.
"Backwater Blues"

dmartn149 6/14/2014 8:26 PM

tedmich 6/14/2014 8:26 PM
more "electric" to me than most other posts here:

dmartn149 6/14/2014 8:39 PM

dmartn149 6/16/2014 8:50 PM

big_teee 6/16/2014 9:37 PM
I Love Me Some Zeppelin!

dmartn149 7/1/2014 8:49 PM
Here's one, but played like this I'm not really sure it's still blues. Doesn't really have the tension and release.

big_teee 7/1/2014 9:09 PM
Here's another wild version of same Song.
Edgar Winter and Friends.
"Red House"

dmartn149 7/1/2014 10:32 PM
How bout this? (I didn't watch the whole thing)

Mark Hammer 7/2/2014 6:48 AM
Well, since the late Jeff Healey was brought up, here's another to add to the stack...

big_teee 7/2/2014 9:25 AM
Wet Wille!
"Macon Hambone Blues"

John_H 7/2/2014 9:54 AM
Freddy King - Goin' Down
The first arena show I ever attended was GFR in 1971. Freddy King opened.

rjb 7/2/2014 10:38 AM
Wet Wille!
The intro makes me think they "may" have been influenced by this guy:
B. B. King - Live at the Regal [Full Album] - YouTube
I used to have the LP- but wore it out.

After all these years, it still is hard to believe this is the same band:
WET WILLIE Street Corner Serenade - YouTube

big_teee 7/2/2014 1:04 PM
This was their claim to fame, but it's not really blues, but close, and a great southern rock song.

"Keep on Smiling"

big_teee 7/2/2014 1:15 PM
Back to the Electric Blues theme, we have a couple more threads for rock.
Paul Rodgers & Company!
"Muddy Water Blues"

big_teee 7/3/2014 10:38 AM
Check this out!
Steppenwolf playing the blues.
"Hoochie Coochie Man"

rjb 7/3/2014 11:35 AM
This was their claim to fame, but it's not really blues, but close, and a great southern rock song.
I'd say it has a gospel-y "let's do church" feel. The harmonica solo even starts with a snippet of Amazing Grace.

Free-associating, let's hear some testifying by "The Godmother of Rock and Roll", Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Maybe not "hot guitar licks" by today's standards- but definitely blues.

tedmich 7/3/2014 11:43 AM

Amps by Otis!

dmartn149 7/4/2014 10:50 PM
Never heard this one before today. I was looking for JB

big_teee 7/4/2014 11:28 PM
And I raise you one Jeff Beck, and Rod Stewart!
"Ain't Superstitious"
Not really blues, it's Rock, but I like it! lol

dmartn149 7/5/2014 8:30 AM
Thats the one I was going to post until I found the Santana/Lang version. It was written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Howlin' Wolf. To me even the Megadeth version still sounds like a blues, even though it mostly sucks.

big_teee 7/5/2014 8:49 AM
Here's another with that Hot Jeff Beck guitar and probably my favorite vocal, Paul Rodgers.
"Catfish Blues"

big_teee 7/5/2014 9:52 AM
I heard this today on the Sirius Blues Channel.
Pretty modern and pretty hot sounding for 1950.
Jimmy Rogers "That's Alright"

km6xz 7/6/2014 6:47 AM
These are all interesting and displays some great musicianship. wasted an hour listening to clips and videos, brings back memories. The first white electric blues I ever remember hearing was when KMPX, the first underground station, Tom Donahue played Paul Butterfield Band's Mike Bloomfield's East West. That was a very influential recording to me and it surely influenced millions of players also even if they never heard of it because it influenced the first wave of white blues players on both sides of the Atlantic. It is hard not to include Mike's playing in any top 10 or even top 3 list in the genre. He lived in my small town in Marin country so after he quit the industry it was possible to still hear him play locally right up to his death.
Several members of the Butterfield band settled in the same county so it is not hard to trace the influence continuously with others in the region from Santana to Robin Ford and all in-between. It was where musicians who made it at least a little, moved after '69 when the SF scene got harder and uncomfortable with the massive influx of runaway kids from Kansas and the like who flooded H.A. and turned it ugly. There is still a lot of good music to be had in a concentrated area even if the players have drifted [or pushed] from the industry that now only focuses on celebrity hits.
It does seem to me however that most of the new guitar heroes are lauded for speed and flash but I have not seen any with more musical sense and taste than that first wave they are copying. Blues relies as much in the notes not or under-played as those which are and I find most of the rapid-fire variations lacking in expression and nuance and quickly seems repetitive and boring. It is hard to pick out a player based on style with so many going for the same shtick.

big_teee 7/6/2014 7:44 AM
Play it, Don't Just Philosophy About it!

Paul Rodgers, and Gary Moore.
"She Moves Me"

dmartn149 7/6/2014 4:12 PM
Not sure if every one would call this a "blues" but it's been one of my favorite pieces of music for a very long time.

tedmich 7/11/2014 5:39 PM

Chantel Mcgregor kicking some serious ass

Audiotexan 7/11/2014 8:17 PM
*wades past all the 'rock'*

Can't believe no one's posted the Buddaheads.

Cheers for a cool thread (even if it IS full of 'classic rock') =P

Audiotexan 7/11/2014 8:18 PM
Or Tab Benoit and Ronnie Earl...

Audiotexan 7/11/2014 8:19 PM
and of course...fellow Texan Freddie King!

big_teee 7/12/2014 5:52 PM
Texas Blues!
Stevie Ray Vaughan.
"Tin Pan Alley"

rjb 7/13/2014 1:10 PM
Texas Blues!
This was one of Gate's instrumental hits, but there's tons of his funker/bluesier stuff on YT:

Plus....
T-Bone Walker, Albert Collins, Lightnin' Hopkins, Frankie Lee Sims, Cornell Dupree....

rjb 7/13/2014 1:27 PM
This is kinda fun, too.

Enough of this- got things to do.

big_teee 7/13/2014 2:11 PM
Plus....
T-Bone Walker, Albert Collins, Lightnin' Hopkins, Frankie Lee Sims, Cornell Dupree....
Boy you confused the hell out of me.
You quote me with music I didn't post? WTF?
R-U-still stalking me?

Audiotexan 7/13/2014 2:16 PM
(About the one rjb just posted)

Man I couldn't even begin to imagine playing 'finger-style' like that.
But I gotta say, I kinda dig the muted tone that it yields!

Oddly enough though, that CGB vid strikes me as more jazz/50's rock AFA the guitar goes. *grin*
(And with a bit of Chet thrown in if I'm not off my rocker)

Growing up in Tx, and being able to travel around the south (La, and Memphis especially) I guess I'm rather jaded though as to what I consider 'blues' *chuckles and grins*....'course growin' up down there results in a lot of 'unique' views. lol
And that's not a slight to anyone else's interpretations/definitions. Just my .02!

Audiotexan 7/13/2014 2:18 PM
Texas Blues!
Stevie Ray Vaughan.
"Tin Pan Alley"
Undeniably, undisputably, CLASSIC smokin' southern blues.
Jam packed with gut wrenching emotion.

big_teee 7/13/2014 4:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Audiotexan View Post
(About the one rjb just posted)

Man I couldn't even begin to imagine playing 'finger-style' like that.
But I gotta say, I kinda dig the muted tone that it yields!

Oddly enough though, that CGB vid strikes me as more jazz/50's rock AFA the guitar goes. *grin*
(And with a bit of Chet thrown in if I'm not off my rocker)

Growing up in Tx, and being able to travel around the south (La, and Memphis especially) I guess I'm rather jaded though as to what I consider 'blues' *chuckles and grins*....'course growin' up down there results in a lot of 'unique' views. lol
And that's not a slight to anyone else's interpretations/definitions. Just my .02!
You need to read the OP!
This was supposed to be more of rock players playing the blues.
I tried to discourage any delta type slow blues.
So if You are shooting for a pure blues players thread, that was not the intent.
Thus the caption Electric hot guitar lick blues.
Not slow dragging Delta blues.
It's been a fun thread and most has been true to form.
T

Audiotexan 7/13/2014 4:34 PM
You need to read the OP!
This was supposed to be more of rock players playing the blues.
I tried to discourage any delta type slow blues.
So if You are shooting for a pure blues players thread, that was not the intent.
Thus the caption Electric hot guitar lick blues.
Not slow dragging Delta blues.
It's been a fun thread and most has been true to form.
T
I did go back again, just to make sure.. I guess I got tunnel-vision on the "Hot Electric Guitar blues with some Rock influence" as opposed to "rock players playing the blues". *chuckles*

My mistake!

2nd the fun this has been though
Definitely some good jams in here!

big_teee 7/13/2014 4:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Audiotexan View Post
I did go back again, just to make sure.. I guess I got tunnel-vision on the "Hot Electric Guitar blues with some Rock influence" as opposed to "rock players playing the blues". *chuckles*

My mistake!
I tried to clarify that, because you mentioned on a earlier post (142) that most of it was rock and not blues.

Audiotexan 7/13/2014 5:11 PM
I tried to clarify that, because you mentioned on a earlier post (142) that most of it was rock and not blues.
Much appreciated. =)

/Francis lightening up

Audiotexan 7/14/2014 2:05 AM
Trying again...and hoping this isn't too 'metal'
But to me this is just great straight ahead heavy blues rock.

LOVE that Memphis swagger.

I will find a happy medium! *I hope* lol
Reign me back in if this is 'too hard' for the intended target

rjb 7/14/2014 9:05 AM
Maybe it's just too obvious a choice...
but I find it hard to believe nobody's posted anything from the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions (with Hubert Sumlin and EC).

Here's something kinda related.

big_teee 7/14/2014 1:22 PM
Gary Moore.
"Red House"

big_teee 7/14/2014 1:40 PM
Here's IMO a fantastic version of "Stormy Monday"
Also IMO the Best Bass Player in the World, Jack Bruce.
The Guitar player not bad either, Reunited Cream.

rjb 7/14/2014 9:50 PM
Sorry about this, but I just heard on the local college station that today is the 50th anniversary of the release of the Stone's first hit single.

Here's a live version... too bad the guitar solo is drowned out by the screaming!
The Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now, T.A.M.I Show, 1964 (#4) - YouTube

Audiotexan 7/17/2014 4:08 AM
Gary Moore.
"Red House"
I'll see your Red House on a "Cold Black Night!" :P

big_teee 7/17/2014 12:24 PM
RIP Johnny Winter!
"Mississippi Blues"
(I may have showed this before)
He will be missed in the Electric Blues Community!

big_teee 7/19/2014 9:58 AM
Here's an old blues song written by Slim Harpo, that was performed by Muddy Waters.
Here is a enhanced sound version by the Rolling Stones.
"I'm a King Bee"

big_teee 7/29/2014 9:51 AM
I ran across this Song listening to the Late Johnny Winter Songs.
Johnny Winter, "Kind hearted Woman".
Old blues song written by Robert Johnson.
Johnny Winter RIP.

Audiotexan 8/11/2014 2:34 PM
Beck Bogert & Appice!

with a 'hillbilly' finisher

big_teee 8/12/2014 1:20 PM
Allman Brothers, "Trouble No More"
Possibly written by, Sleepy' John Estes, and performed by Muddy Waters.

big_teee 9/4/2014 1:05 PM
Off the New Johnny Winter Tribute album featuring many rock guitarist, "Step Back".
This cut is Johhn W. playing with Bill Gibbons.
"Where Can You Be"
RIP, Johnny Winter!
**Edit
Scratch that one they pulled it today from youtube.
Here's another from same album with Ben Harper.
"I Can't Hold Out (Talk to Me Baby)"

Steve A. 9/4/2014 9:23 PM
Off the New Johnny Winter Tribute album featuring many rock guitarist, "Step Back".
This cut is Johnny W. playing with Bill Gibbons.
I see your one Johhny Winter and raise you one Mike Bloomfield!

Steve A.

Paleo Pete 9/5/2014 4:19 PM
Sure gonna miss Johnny...I've been a big fan for...OK a long long time...hehe...OK mid 70's...

This is one of my old time favorites, don't know if it's been posted yet, Duanne Allman playing studio guitar for Boz Scaggs, probably my all time favorite blues jam, Loan Me A Dime

I can't find a way to link to it, but I have a cover of Kenny Wayne Shepperd's "While We Cry" posted on my Bandmix profile at

Paleopete - Musician in Huntington TX - BandMix.com

I'm not sure how to find it since I'm logged in and don't see what you see, but look for a "Music" link, I have about 4 songs posted, one is While We cry, the others are originals. None are blues...

OK just got it to show the way you see it, just scroll down, 1st song

big_teee 9/5/2014 5:01 PM
I did the "Loan me a dime" on post 95, but youtube took it down.
But, worthy of putting it back up here.

I'm a Huge Joe, and Beth Fan.
"Close to My Fire"

Paleo Pete 9/6/2014 7:02 PM
RIP Bugs Henderson...old favorite of mine but I never heard much of his stuff.

Then there's Van Wilks...one of the best to ever come out of Austin, TX, his home base. OK except for Eric Johnson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMdU_jCC9A

Steve A. 9/14/2014 9:38 AM
This is an audio-only YouTube video of Mike Bloomfield playing mainly slide guitar on Janis Joplin's "One Good Man"- not a lot of slide in his recordings in the late 60's...

Steve A.

Steve A. 9/14/2014 9:50 AM
This is from one of Mike Bloomfield's last recordings with him sitting in with Bob Dylan in SF two months before his death in February 1981. Dylan started the song without him so you first herar him about 2 1/2 minutes into the song, "The Groom Is Still Waiting At The Altar."

Steve A.

Steve A. 9/14/2014 10:09 AM
One more from Mike Bloomfield from the 3CD/1DVD box set "From His Head To His Heart To His Hands". This was recorded live at McCabes's music store in 1977, a really great show with him playing both acoustic and electric guitar backed by some of his friends. Like Dylan his voice is an acquired taste.

In any case he is 100% real, from his heart to his hands. I think that is what separates him from other guitarists. (I recommend the latest book about him- "If You Love These Blues"- which was created from interviews with the people who knew him and from Michael himself.)

Steve A.

Steve A. 9/14/2014 10:58 AM
Gypsy Good Time
One more... "Gypsy Good Time" was recorded live at the Fillmore in February 1969 and was included on Nick Gravenites' first LP "My Labors".

Steve A.

P.S. Yes, Mike Bloomfield has been my favorite blues guitarist since his albums with Paul Butterfield and the Electric Flag followed by Super Session and his live albums with Nick & Co. with Bob Jones who was the guitarist with the folk-rock group We Five. When they broke up and divvied up their earnings took a smaller share in exchange for the band's equipment and van, a great investment IMO.

Here is Part 1 of The Michael Bloomfield Story (there are 10 parts total)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJa8KIF1A24

big_teee 9/14/2014 11:06 AM
Eric Clapton Mark Knopfler
"Same Old Blues"

Paleo Pete 9/17/2014 6:02 PM
How about some Rory Gallagher

Rory Gallagher - Hoodoo Man - YouTube

Paleo Pete 9/17/2014 6:04 PM
Sorry, accidental double post

Mark Hammer 9/19/2014 8:51 AM
Here's one of our local guitar heroines, Sue Foley. Brad ain't the only one who can play a paisley Tele!

Steve A. 9/25/2014 12:29 PM
This is the full 90 minute movie of a Ry Cooder show from 1987 which was released in only Japan. Filmed by the late Les Blank and featuring Flaco Jimenez on Tex-Mex accordion and Terry Evans and Bobby King helping out on vocals- just like the "Show Time" album from the mid-70's. This is Americana music at its finest, blending blues, country, gospel and Tex-Mex (and who knows what else?)

Guitar affectionados might notice of Ry's Coodercaster with a Supro/Valco string-through lap steel pickup (a humcancelling design!) at the bridge and a Teisco gold foil pickup at the neck. Jason Lollar sells reproductions of these pickups for $250 and $180 respectively if you want to make your own Coodercaster without cannibalizing vintage instruments.

Live At The Catalyst, Santa Cruz, CA March 25. 1987

Ry Cooder Live at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz 1987 - YouTube (cued in to end of opening interview)

Personnel:
Jim Keltner - drums
Ry Cooder - guitar, vocals
Van Dyke Parks - keys
Jorge Calderon - bass
Flaco Jimenez - accordion
Miguel Cruiz - percussion
Steve Douglas - sax
George Bohannon - trombone
Bobby King - tenor
Terry Evans - baritone
Arnold McCuller - tenor
Willie Green Jr - bass

Track Listing:
1. Let's Have a Ball
2. Jesus on the Mainline
3. How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?
4. Down In Mississippi
5. Maria Elena
6. Just a Little Bit
7. The Things That Make You Rich Make Me Poor
8. Crazy Bout an Automobile (Every Woman I Know)
9. Chain Gang
10. Good Night Irene

Steve Ahola

P.S. This is the best live show I have seen or heard in a long time!

trem 9/28/2014 2:31 PM
.....!!

trem 9/28/2014 2:32 PM
Somebody that has only been playing for about 7 years. But she (for me) harknes back to more raw/primitive times...when guys would just (pretty much) plug straight in, and rely on dynamics of their fingers, and the Volume knob on the guitar to get them where they needed to go. And they sang from the heart.
I have heard enough Joe Bonamassas to last me a life time.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhvDOxvfvhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh93fyhVx1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVQPavhB04

Steve A. 10/27/2014 2:42 PM
I don't know if you can view videos on Facebook unless you are logged in but this one is really cool with Terry Hiatt playing on "Stand By Me" sounding just like David Lindley using the little slide on his pinky finger. Sounds like Robben Ford, too.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152851291899669

Steve Ahola

P.S. Here is a YouTube video from his website. (If you let it play it will scroll through 5 videos.) BTW he is a luthier and runs his own shop in San Carlos.

big_teee 10/27/2014 4:15 PM
Tab Benoit "Darkness"

John_H 10/27/2014 6:31 PM
RIP Jack Bruce: Cream - Born Under A Bad Sign (Royal Albert Hall 2005)

big_teee 11/4/2014 1:49 PM
I'm a huge Paul Rodgers fan.
Heard this today on Sirius Blues channel.
IMO good stuff.
"Talking Guitar Blues"

John_H 11/22/2014 12:24 PM
Love Rears it's Ugly Head - Living Color
These guys are back together. The tour starts next week.

John_H 11/22/2014 12:27 PM
double post

big_teee 11/22/2014 12:56 PM
BB King and John Mayer!

John_H 11/27/2014 10:54 AM
Happy Birthday Jimi

big_teee 12/26/2014 10:19 AM
Jeff Beck Group "Let Me Love You"
Weren't these guys great!

Steve A. 1/29/2015 4:14 PM
Not strictly blues but I have been looking for a good copy of this video for almost 25 years! I made a copy of a VHS tape of this that I rented and copied in the early 90's. The concert was put together by I.R.S. Records to promote the label which released instrumental albums from some of the top guitarists in the 70's and 80's: Alvin Lee, Randy California, Leslie West, Steve Howe, Pete Haycock, Steve Hunter and Robby Krieger!

I hoped to find it on DVD but that never happened so I made my own, digitizing my VHS copy and authoring it to DVD which I gave out to everybody for Christmas in 2005 because it was from such a great concert.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4l0LA6d3GYw

Enjoy!

Steve Ahola

The Dude 2/20/2015 5:23 PM
I've been diggin' on this lately.

big_teee 2/20/2015 5:35 PM
More ZZ. "Mexican Blackbird"

big_teee 5/14/2015 9:09 PM
Paul Butterfield & Mike Bloomfield.
"The Sky is Crying"
They did it 15-20 years before SRV made it popular.
I really like this version.

guitician 5/15/2015 10:01 AM
RIP B.B.

Steve A. 7/30/2015 12:24 PM
Mike Bloomfield: "Jimi the Fox"
This is one of the rarest tracks with killer guitar from Mike Bloomfield- the vinyl mix of "Jimi the Fox" on Barry Goldberg's "Two Jews Blues" from 1969. (The CD reissue on One Way Records is almost a minute shorter.) I had use deceptive naming of the song so that it doesn't get deleted from SoundCloud. (Vulpez is the scientific name for "fox".)

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/james-vulpez/s-zNCzY

Or you can listen to a lossy rip on YouTube with snap, crackle and pops...

Amazing guitar from Mike in a style that we don't usually hear...

Steve Ahola

EDIT The Soundcloud flac file was still being processed when I posted this so if the link doesn't work that is why. Try back later... I think it is definitely worth it!

Steve A. 9/16/2015 11:20 AM
Freddie King Live in Europe 1973 & 1974 (67 minutes)
Best live video of Freddie King that I've seen..

d. spree 9/28/2015 7:33 AM
Quote Originally Posted by d. spree View Post
Love Jimmy fast fingers dawkins. here's some Magic Sam

Magic Sam ~ All Your Love and Lookin' Good - YouTube
Thanks for these posts - two of the beste ver - and Magic Sam too little recognized and Jimmy Fast Fingers even less known.

d. spree 9/28/2015 7:55 AM
well someone has to post this man!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzdRX36VRM

d. spree 9/28/2015 7:56 AM
and some more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DklPYRLPH1g

Steve A. 9/28/2015 5:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by d. spree View Post
Thanks for these posts - two of the beste ver - and Magic Sam too little recognized and Jimmy Fast Fingers even less known.
Thanks for posting that! As I recall the clip is from the 1969 American Folk Blues Festival with Magic Sam playing Earl Hooker's guitar. Back then even friends who generally hated the blues loved Magic Sam... his vocals and guitar were very slick but also very soulful. He was one of Peter Green's big influences which can be heard in "Stop Messin' Around"...
PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC - 1969 - "Stop Messin…: http://youtu.be/j7kgyWgYZ0g

big_teee 9/28/2015 6:51 PM
I like Peter Green, and Magic Sam is a keeper!
The other Fish of that bunch, IMO can be turned back loose. :<)

Robert Cray, "Walk Around Time"

big_teee 9/29/2015 10:32 PM
JB "Evil"

Steve A. 10/16/2015 9:25 PM
Otis Rush: I Can't Quit You Baby (Live in Europe 1966)
This was filmed October 16, 1966 at the Friedrichstadt-Palast in East Berlin during the American Folk Blues Festival tour that year. Shocking that practically all of the videos of the American blues artists from the 60's were filmed during the annual AFBF tours in Europe.

Otis Rush: I Can't Quit You Baby:

Steve Ahola

big_teee 10/17/2015 8:27 AM
I prefer this version! 1970
" Blues had a Baby and they Called it Rock & Roll" Muddy Waters.
This is Proof!
Led Zeppelin "I Can't Quit You Baby"

Steve A. 10/17/2015 3:21 PM
I prefer this version! 1970
" Blues had a Baby and they Called it Rock & Roll" Muddy Waters.
This is Proof!
Led Zeppelin "I Can't Quit You Baby"
I'm partial to the version on their debut album- I like how JP gets that stuttering thing that was on many of Buddy Guy's recordings in the 60's.
I believe that I was one of the first people to buy that album in early 1969- the credits listed Page as playing pedal steel and I was a big fan of Pete Drake and Bud Charlton (of the Texas Troubadors.) "Wow! I gotta get that!"

Led Zeppelin - You Shook Me:

big_teee 10/24/2015 11:27 AM
Jeff Beck Group, "Blues Deluxe".
They were a great group with Rod Stewart, Ron Woods, Nicky Hopkins, Micky Waller, and Jeff Beck.
It's all great, but I especially like Ron Woods performance on bass.
T

Steve A. 10/24/2015 3:37 PM
Jeff Beck Group, "Blues Deluxe".
They were a great group with Rod Stewart, Ron Woods, Nicky Hopkins, Micky Waller, and Jeff Beck.
It's all great, but I especially like Ron Woods performance on bass.
T
The instrumental performance on that song is amazing but the lyrics and vocals were very derivative. I have a particular dislike of the song (certainly not the performance!) because it is one of a half dozen songs rock singers want to play at blues jams... And yes, I was fooled into thinking it was actually recorded live.

For a song with great lyrics and vocals their single "I've Been Drinking Again" is top-notch (although the guitar solo is pretty weak- I think that Jeff didn't want to steal the thunder from Rod.) I first heard that song almost 45 years ago on an import "Best of" LP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEFnJ7JqUU

Steve Ahola

big_teee 10/24/2015 4:10 PM
I dig the song!
Here's another version of it by Smokin Joe.
You may not like it either, but I do!
And, that's all that matters!

Steve A. 10/26/2015 1:18 PM
More from the new John Mayall album on Forty Below Records featuring live recordings from early 1967 with Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood (3/4 of the original Fleetwood Mac.) The audio restoration of the mono r-to-r tapes is amazing (you can find many of the unprocessed tracks on YouTube going back to 2011.) As for the guitar playing I think that Peter Green was a much more authentic blues guitarist than Eric Clapton back in the 60's. (BB King said "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats")

You can buy the CD for $12.99 at Amazon- 72+ minutes of some of the best British blues!

http://www.amazon.com/Live-In-John-M.../dp/B00T73ATC0

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (feat. Peter Green) ~ ''Double Trouble''&''So Many Roads'' Live 1967

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 10/26/2015 1:22 PM
Here is another version of "So Many Roads" with Gary Moore sitting in with John Mayall. I was really knocked out by Buddy Whittington's guitar solo and then Gary Moore took over the reins...
Montreux Jazz Festival 2008
Monday 7th July 2008
Special Guest Gary Moore

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 10/26/2015 1:32 PM
Here is a 57+ minute video filmed during the 1982 John Mayall Reunion Tour with Mick Taylor and John McVie along with special guests like Etta James- and Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells. This was recorded at the Capitol Theater in New Jersey (there has been an album out for years with recordings from their shows in Russia but this is new to me!)
While it seems like Mick Taylor pretty much disappeared from sight after leaving the Rolling Stones he has continued to tour and record with his own band sticking close to his blues roots and just getting better and better.

Steve Ahola

big_teee 10/26/2015 2:13 PM
Here is a 57+ minute video filmed during the 1982 John Mayall Reunion Tour with Mick Taylor and John McVie along with special guests like Etta James- and Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells. This was recorded at the Capitol Theater in New Jersey (there has been an album out for years with recordings from their shows in Russia but this is new to me!)
While it seems like Mick Taylor pretty much disappeared from sight after leaving the Rolling Stones he has continued to tour and record with his own band sticking close to his blues roots and just getting better and better.
Steve Ahola
That had too much Delta blues, and not enough english blues.
I did really dig the "So Many Roads", Mayall vocal.
Great cut.
I like this better, than the delta 82 stuff.
"Walk in My Shadows" Written and sung by Paul Rodgers.

big_teee 10/26/2015 2:27 PM
This is some more of the category, "Blues Had a baby, and they called it Rock", but I like it!
"Hey Joe" Paul Rodgers, and ensemble!

big_teee 10/30/2015 10:34 PM
More John Mayall and the Blues Breakers.
"Steppin Out"

Steve A. 10/31/2015 12:10 PM
More John Mayall and the Blues Breakers.
"Steppin Out"...
That's been one of my favorite EC tracks for 49+ years. Here is the original version of the song by Memphis Slim and the Houserockers from 1959, with the piano and sax handling the melody and Matt "Guitar" Murphy taking a simple solo. If you listen to Clapton's playing on the Raw Blues compilation from 1967 you can hear how Murphy was one of his big influences.

Steve A. 10/31/2015 12:22 PM
Enough of the moldy oldies... Here's Gary Moore from a live gig in the 90's with special guest B.B. King on one of the songs...

Steve Ahola

big_teee 10/31/2015 3:25 PM
More John Mayall & the Blues Breakers "Beano"
37 minutes of great music, & British Blues at it's finest!
IMO Clapton was the best Blues Breaker Axe Man of them all!
The Marshall Bluesbreaker Combo amp sounded great too.

big_teee 11/7/2015 10:51 AM
Johnnie Winter "Old Grey Whistle Test".
I dig Johnnie and his fantastic Bass Player.
Drummer's pretty good too!

big_teee 11/9/2015 10:05 AM
About every entertainer worth his salt, has performed at the Rockpalast.
Here's Robben Ford in 2007 performing there.
I dig his jazzy blues style, & the sweet tones he achieves.
Put this on and let it go in the background.

Steve A. 1/1/2016 11:19 PM
One of my own recordings...
I just posted a few of my recordings I had uploaded to Sound Cloud and decided that there is just one track that I am really proud of, "Gospel Blues" from 2003 which used a backing track from Vol. Two of Marvin Taylor's "Band in the Pocket" CD. The song is dedicated to Mike Bloomfield my all-time favorite guitarist.

It was recorded using a 2002 Les Paul Junior Special with the infamous P100 humcancelling pickups plugged into the Tweed Deluxe I built with custom mode switches to get a really sweet clean tone.

https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/04-gospel-blues-2003

Steve Ahola

big_teee 2/10/2016 5:57 PM
Here is a Local Arkansas Area Blues Band.
Heather Crosse & the Sweetones.
My Friend Danny Smith plays lead guitar.
I maintain his guitars and most of his guitars have my Pickups in them.
"Walkin in Their Shoes"

Steve A. 3/18/2016 12:22 AM
A high-res version of video posted earlier...
Allman Brothers Band - Blue Sky from 1991 with Dickie Betts and Warren Haynes

http://youtu.be/G1jpQu6qR1E

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 3/19/2016 4:46 PM
The Steve Freund Trio -- I've Got My Mojo Working:

http://youtu.be/pqiiXfa_N30

An amazing collection of guitar solos between the verses!

Steve Ahola

big_teee 3/22/2016 3:31 PM
I may have done these already.
If so, it's time to do them again.
One of my all time favorite singers. Pau Rodgers.

big_teee 3/22/2016 3:36 PM
Paul Rodgers with Neal Schon.

big_teee 3/22/2016 4:11 PM
Paul Rodgers & Gary Moore
"She Moves Me"

John_H 4/6/2016 7:59 AM
Super Chet

rjb 4/6/2016 3:13 PM
RIP, Merle Haggard.

big_teee 4/6/2016 3:41 PM
You guys are turning my Electric hot Lick blues thread into the Country Western network.

Here's Johnny Winter!
That's more like it!

big_teee 4/6/2016 8:28 PM
Ry Cooder - "Feelin Bad Blues"

big_teee 4/7/2016 1:48 PM
Wes Jeans Band, "Sweet Little Angel"
Wes is my Grandson Ethan's guitar Teacher, based in Marshall Texas.

big_teee 4/12/2016 7:09 AM
Paul Butterfield Blues Band, "Walking Blues"
Great stuff! Live 1978

GroovyJohnny 4/14/2016 12:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by dmartn149 View Post
Never heard this one before today. I was looking for JB
Wow, haven't listened to some Carlos Santana in a while, brings back some great times..

big_teee 4/14/2016 12:30 PM
David Gilmour Blues.
"I put a spell on You"
Great guitar Tone!

rjb 4/14/2016 12:47 PM
Jeff Beck "I Put a Spell on You".
From the short-lived American Idol spinoff American Sideman - before JB was disqualified for being British.
https://youtu.be/bunNRu4mBbY?t=16

rjb 4/14/2016 12:58 PM
I Ain't Superstitious. Everyone's heard the Rod Steward/Jeff Beck version a zillion times.

I still like the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions version with EC and a horn section- "hot" guitar licks or not.
Something to be said for "tasteful" guitar licks!

World's worst version, by Megadeth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbN5...bN5_WNq0yw#t=0

big_teee 4/14/2016 8:23 PM
Paul Rodgers N Jeff Beck.
"Rollin' Stone"
Jeff Beck at his finest hour!

big_teee 4/15/2016 1:31 PM
Gov't Mule, "Worried down with the Blues"
Featuring Warren Haynes, Guitar and vocals!

Steve A. 4/15/2016 9:56 PM
One hour left on tonight's show on KHUM, every Friday night 7-10PM PDT. Best blues show on streaming radio with plenty of hot guitarists...

KHUM | Freeform Radio, Humboldt County

[IMG]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38701&amp;d=1460778384[/IMG]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38701[/ATTACH]

Steve Ahola

EDIT: I paid $9.95 for TuneIn Radio Pro specifically so that I could record as well as listen to this radio show on my Android mobile devices. (The free version allows you to listen but not record from 100,000+ stations.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.player&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tune...418987775?mt=8

You do get better sound from the high quality stream on their website...

http://lostcoast.streamguys.us/khum-hi.m3u

big_teee 4/18/2016 11:03 AM
Southern Rock band, The Outlaws.
They did Green grass and high tides, and Ghost riders in the sky.
Here's their spin on the blues!
"Macon Blues"

big_teee 4/25/2016 7:33 PM
Check out this version of Hey Joe.
Like this guys Axe skills.
Poppa Chubby, "Hey Joe"
Blusey Rock.

mort 4/25/2016 8:11 PM
Just ran across this player yesterday and instantly was enamored

big_teee 4/25/2016 8:31 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mort View Post
Just ran across this player yesterday and instantly was enamored

https://youtu.be/xFnB0uK7PcQ
Are you Conning us here?
All I got was a stupic ad!
T
**That's better!

mort 4/25/2016 8:39 PM
Are you Conning us here?
All I got was a stupic ad!
T
crazy. I right clicked the video for the link which usually works just fine. I was wondering why it didn't embed. Because embedding would have caused me to see the trickery!

Fixt it

mort 4/25/2016 8:47 PM
And I don't know if blues can get any more electric than this 335

Steve A. 4/28/2016 6:28 AM
Johnny Nitro and the Doorslammers Live at Malarkey's in Sacramento in 1987 (a 40 minute set):
•Johnny Nitro (John Newton) :* guitar & vocals
• Franck "Paris Slim" Goldwasser:* guitar & vocals
• Tim Wagar: bass
• Twist Turner: drums
Video quality is terrible (no iPhones back then) but audio is great!

Steve Ahola

big_teee 5/1/2016 9:46 AM
Robin Trower History, "Someday Blues"

big_teee 5/3/2016 9:48 AM
Allman Brothers! "Jelly Jelly"

Steve A. 5/14/2016 4:56 PM
Watch "Hubert Sumlin Tone Secrets!" on YouTube
from Kid Andersen

https://youtu.be/oWndWYmYk10

#1. Pickups need to be out of phase
#2. Set Bridge PU tone to 0
#3. Set Neck PU tone to 10
#4. Turn up gain/volume on amp
#5. Adjust Bridge & Neck pickups to taste (start around 5 & 5)
Note: You need a Les Paul style guitar with two volume and two tone controls to do this. It works even better if you rewire volume controls so that they are independent (switch leads going to pickup and to selector switch.)

big_teee 5/22/2016 8:27 AM
James Cotton Instrumental, "Blues in my Sleep"
I dig his Harp playing! Band is not bad either!

big_teee 5/23/2016 9:00 AM
Robben Ford "The Way You Treated Me" Rockpalast 2007.
Pretty Smooth! It has to be watched on Youtube, it won't play here, or on other sites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9g...layer_embedded

big_teee 5/24/2016 8:52 AM
My favorite version of an old Robert Johnson song.
Govt Mule, Mr. Warren Haynes & Co., "32/20 Blues".
Check out all the solos near the end.
Funky!

big_teee 5/26/2016 10:50 AM
Dave Hole, "Out of Here"
From the album Ticket to Chicago.
I dig the tone of his hot slide guitar!

Steve A. 5/26/2016 5:59 PM
FREDDIE KING - "Boogie Funk" (Live HQ TV Performance)

http://youtu.be/C3mk-w1EUlI

Steve Ahola

big_teee 5/26/2016 7:30 PM
Here's a cover everyone does including F.K.
This is the Rory Gallagher version of "Tore Down".
Song written by Sonny Thompson.

big_teee 5/27/2016 10:33 PM
Led Zeppelin "Traveling Riverside Blues"

big_teee 5/28/2016 3:15 PM
Eric Clapton,from the new album "I still do".
Single is "Stones In My Passway"

Steve A. 5/28/2016 5:52 PM
Here's a cover everyone does including F.K.
This is the Rory Gallagher version of "Tore Down".
Song written by Sonny Thompson.
Cool video but Freddy King released the original version in 1961 (Sonny Thompson was the pianist in King Records' house band and wrote or co-wrote many of Freddy's hits.)

Steve "Nit Picker" Ahola

big_teee 5/28/2016 6:37 PM
Thanks for the knit pick.
I've never been much of a F. K. Fan so I didn't know that.
I'm more into blues done by rock and roll bands, with a few exceptions.
Anything that resembles delta type blues, I shy from, & I'm gone!
I Like some of the Chicago blues, just depends on who it is and what mood I'm in.

Paul Rodgers, Neal Schon, & Co., "Blues- Standing around Crying"

Steve A. 5/28/2016 9:58 PM
Thanks for the knit pick.
I've never been much of a F. K. Fan so I didn't know that.
I'm more into blues done by rock and roll bands, with a few exceptions.
Anything that resembles delta type blues, I shy from, & I'm gone!
I Like some of the Chicago blues, just depends on who it is and what mood I'm in.
Freddy King in the early 60's was kinda surfy but in the 70's Freddie King was the Boogie Man. IMO none of the rock bands came close to capturing the sheer power in numbers like this one...

FREDDIE KING - "Boogie Funk" (Live HQ TV Performance) :*

http://youtu.be/C3mk-w1EUlI

Steve Ahola

EDIT Here is Freddie's live version of Tore Down from 1973... Killer!

https://youtu.be/TfKrGqLu5Tc

EDIT2 Here is the full video of the Rory Gallagher show with Tore Down. Half electric, half acoustic... all top notch shit!

https://youtu.be/GdfT-p23Nko

big_teee 5/29/2016 1:17 AM
I like this version by E.C.
I dig the red ES335 tones.
"Tore Down"

rjb 5/29/2016 6:14 AM
I like this version by E.C.
The groove of the 2nd song (Have You Ever Loved a Woman, ~3:30) reminds me of another King

From B.B. King Live at the Regal- a classic, classic album.

PS - I think Freddy King's metal fingerpicks can impart a tone sometimes bordering on setting your teeth on edge... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.....

big_teee 5/29/2016 8:15 AM
Janis and Johnny 1969!

big_teee 6/5/2016 5:42 PM
Heard this on the Sirius Blues channel Lucille.
Bernard Allison, "Time Flies By"

big_teee 6/6/2016 8:40 PM
The Kenny Wayne Shepherd band, "Dark Side of Love".
Good Vocals, and great hot lick blues guitar!

big_teee 6/13/2016 1:42 PM
Here's Buddy Guy, playing only like Buddy Guy does.
"She's 19 Years Old"

Steve A. 6/18/2016 3:44 PM
Perhaps someone can identify the sound hole pickup that Zack Wilde is using on this version of Voodoo Child...

https://youtu.be/s1OGQQk5HpM

Steve Ahola

rjb 6/18/2016 11:19 PM
Perhaps someone can identify the sound hole pickup that Zack Wilde is using on this version of Voodoo Child...
I vote an EMG ACS active soundhole pickup, and a Shadow Nonomag at the end of the neck.
But that still doesn't explain how the **** he can play an acoustic guitar like that!

Steve A. 6/18/2016 11:40 PM
I vote an EMG ACS active soundhole pickup, and a Shadow Nonomag at the end of the neck.
But that still doesn't explain how the **** he can play an acoustic guitar like that!
My friend Felix refretted a brand new Alvarez acoustic guitar with Dunlop 6100 frets and he can shred the hell out of it. If you get the frets very level you can lower the action to the point where it plays well but still rings out true.

That being said Zack is still amazing as all heck...

Steve A.

big_teee 6/19/2016 6:12 AM
Back to Blues Music.
Chris Duarte Group, "32 Blues"
I like the SRV Strat tones he plays.

big_teee 6/22/2016 2:41 PM
Been hearing this song on Sirius Blues Channel.
Matt Guitar Murphy, "Gimme Somma Dat".

Steve A. 6/24/2016 7:34 PM
The Blues Brothers - Full Concert - New Years Eve 1978 - Winterland Ballroom, SF

While I am not a big fan of Jake and Elroy, the band was really great with two of my favorite blue guitarists, Matt "Guitar" Murphy and Steve Cropper, and a killer horn section. This 50 minute set was filmed during the last show at Winterland which lasted 8 hours (6 of which were the Dead's set and the other hour was New Riders.)

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 6/24/2016 7:52 PM
Steve Miller Band - "Your Old Lady":

Posting a link to Quicksilver's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" on the Hot New Stories reminded me of another song from the "Revolution" soundtrack, "Your Old Lady" from the Steve Miller Band, with one of the hottest acid blues/rock guitar solos in 1967.

The roadie for Ross Valory's earlier band, Frumious Bandersnatch, pointed out that the solo built up to a segment from - wait for it- "The Ballad of Davy Crockett." That was Herbie who went on to manage Journey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt...bert_(manager)

Steve Ahola

P.S. The Steve Miller Band had another song on that soundtrack which ended up on David Lindley's first solo album (El Rayo X)... "Mercury Blues." Lindley had been the multi-instrumentalist in the band Kaleidoscope which I saw open for Steve Miller in Berkeley in 1968 as I recall.

ric 6/24/2016 8:22 PM
Picked up a Quicksilver album at a second hand store many moons ago and was glad I did when I got to "Silver n Gold".

A CD of Matt Murphy from Antone's has a quote I remember, "everything he plays makes sense".

big_teee 6/24/2016 9:12 PM
Here's a pretty good version of "Crossroads".
Lots of good guitar pickin!

rjb 6/24/2016 11:10 PM
Church at the Crossroads
You can really tell that pedal steel player Robert Randolph came from the House of God Church.
Reminded me a bit of the Campbell Brothers.
YT had some good concert examples of their more secular stuff, but I'm not finding them.
Oh well, here's a studio instrumental.

Here's 45 seconds of the same tune at a show in NYC
(Optional: Stick around for 9 minutes in New Orleans)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpC8XRkjxX4

Oh hell, let's do church for real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEfRqt95dw

big_teee 6/24/2016 11:54 PM
Check this out! Great Stuff!
Little Feat with Mick Taylor, "Apolitical Blues"
RIP Lowell George, IMO he was one of the best.

Steve A. 6/25/2016 12:29 AM
You can really tell that pedal steel player Robert Randolph came from the House of God Church.
At age 20 Robert Randolph hit the big time with "The Word" released in the summer of 2001- the band also included the North Mississippi Allstars and John Medeski. (I see that they got back together last year to tour.)

Here is "Call Him By His Name"* which kicks into high gear 3 minutes into the song...

Here is a link to "Joyful Sounds", the lead-off song of the album...

http://youtu.be/XZuTUmCvIAc

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 6/25/2016 2:39 AM
...Reminded me a bit of the Campbell Brothers.
YT had some good concert examples of their more secular stuff, but I'm not finding them.
Yes, there used to be a whole sh*tload of the secular ones. Here is the 13 minute trailer to the Arhoolie Foundation's documentary "Sacred Steel" from ~1999 which I recommend very highly to anyone interested in the subject. (Plenty of Campbell Brothers in movie and trailer.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. I looked for a link for the documentary only to find that Chris Strachwitz of Arhoolie Records sold the label to the non-profit Smithsonian Folkways Recordings which will keep all 350+ items in the catalog available on CD or in digital format forever. Kind of a shock to me as I grew up listening to Chris' "Music in America" radio show every Sunday morning...

http://www.arhoolie.com

dmartn149 6/26/2016 11:03 PM

big_teee 7/1/2016 9:12 AM
I heard this on Sirius Blues Channel.
Great hot guitar!
Eddy Clearwater, Hypnotized.

The Dude 7/18/2016 7:25 PM
Always dug the guitar playing in this tune. Now you can hear the track isolated.

The Dude 7/18/2016 7:26 PM
Always dug the guitar playing in this tune. Now you can hear the track isolated. [video=youtube;Hh3U9iPKeXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3U9iPKeXQ[/video]

Steve A. 7/21/2016 3:33 AM
Matt Schofield-Entire 4/11/14 Concert-The Palladium Theater
Watch "Matt Schofield-Entire 4/11/14 Concert-The Palladium Theater" on YouTube... over 55 minutes long!

IMO Matt Scofield represents the future of blues...

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 7/21/2016 3:47 AM
Matt Schofield-Entire Concert-2014 Tampa Bay Blues Festival
Watch "Matt Schofield-Entire Concert-2014 Tampa Bay Blues Festival" on YouTube

The last video was Matt playing at an After Party... this is his performance that day at the Tampa Bay Blues Festival. 85+ minutes long!

Steve Ahola

big_teee 7/23/2016 3:21 PM
Eric Sardinas, "Four Roses".

Silvertone Jockey 7/23/2016 4:03 PM
Here is Junior Brown...Stupid Blues. Junior can play the #%&! out of a guitar....check it out

big_teee 7/24/2016 12:14 PM
Warren Haynes and Greg Allman, "Come and go Blues"

big_teee 7/27/2016 12:07 PM
Here's some of the best slide I've heard in a while!
Sonny Landreth, "Firebird Blues"

Steve A. 7/27/2016 1:15 PM
Here's some of the best slide I've heard in a while!
Sonny Landreth, "Firebird Blues"
Sonny's tribute to slide master Johnny Winter... cool! In case you didn't know Sonny pretty much invented the technique of fretting notes *behind* the slide, thus allowing him to change, say, a major chord into a minor. Not to mention his smoky, swampy Louisiana vibe... (He was my favorite modern slide guitarist, at least until Derek Trucks decided to settle down in the blues.)

This track is from his new album which is a return to his blues roots:

https://www.amazon.com/Bound-Blues-S.../dp/B00W2UYPHU

Steve Ahola

P.S. When Sonny's "South of I-10" came out in 2010 I was so blown away by it that I bought a half dozen copies to give away as Christmas presents that year...

SONNY LANDRETH - CONGO SQUARE:*

big_teee 7/27/2016 1:33 PM
Warren Haynes is my favorite slide player.
I played this a few months ago, but I dig warrens guitar and slide to this Robert Johnson song.
Here goes again.,

Steve A. 7/27/2016 1:59 PM
Here is the full album... Sonny Landreth - Bound By The Blues (2015)

Steve Ahola

P.S. Warren Haynes is a great traditional slide player (like Duane Allman) but Sonny and Derek bring a lot of new shit to the table, redefining the instrument.

big_teee 7/27/2016 2:45 PM
I know you like listing them, but I don't think anyone listens to whole albums on here.
At least I never do!
Speaking of.
Johnny Winter, "Sound the Bell"

Steve A. 7/27/2016 3:05 PM
I know you like listing them, but I don't think anyone listens to whole albums on here.
At least I never do!
Well, I grew up listening to albums and the whole MP3 single track thing is foreign to me.
One thing that sucks about YouTube is that it will not play in the background... unless you pay for the premium service. So unless it is in the foreground you can't just play it like a radio (one solution: use a second device, mobile or desktop, just to play YouTube videos.)
Even if you are not listening to a full album the playlist feature of YouTube can be pretty cool, too.

BTW SoundCloud and Audials are two apps and/or sites which play music in the background... and no need to pay a premium!

Steve Ahola

big_teee 7/27/2016 3:21 PM
You can play it in the background, if your browser has tabbed browsing.
I do it alot?
You put Youtube on one tab, then browse with another tab, the whole time youtube should be playing?

Steve A. 7/27/2016 5:02 PM
You can play it in the background, if your browser has tabbed browsing.
I do it alot?
You put Youtube on one tab, then browse with another tab, the whole time youtube should be playing?
Hmmmm... I use my Android tablet 99% of the time- much better when I run the audio into a bluetooth speaker. I guess it is just mobile devices that do not support background playing...

"Google describes YouTube Red as "the ultimate YouTube experience." The $9.99 subscription will cover all of YouTube products, meaning YouTube, YouTube Gaming, YouTube Kids, and the newly announced YouTube Music. The new service will let you watch YouTube videos without ads, save videos to watch offline on a mobile device, and play videos in the background on a mobile device."

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve

big_teee 7/27/2016 5:26 PM
Hmmmm... I use my Android tablet 99% of the time- much better when I run the audio into a bluetooth speaker. I guess it is just mobile devices that do not support background playing...

"Google describes YouTube Red as "the ultimate YouTube experience." The $9.99 subscription will cover all of YouTube products, meaning YouTube, YouTube Gaming, YouTube Kids, and the newly announced YouTube Music. The new service will let you watch YouTube videos without ads, save videos to watch offline on a mobile device, and play videos in the background on a mobile device."

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve
I like Laptops.
I'm very limited on what I buy.
I do still have a home landline phone.
I have DSL
I have my Dish TV, with movie and music channels (I'm retired, I watch to much tv, and too much internet)
My Tracfone
No smart phone,
I run Linux, I only use free software, and haven't bought any commercial software in years.

Steve A. 8/12/2016 12:59 AM
Fast forward to 7:40 for amazing interplay between Bay Area legend Garth Weber and Matt Scofield...

Steve Ahola

Steve A. 8/12/2016 3:58 AM
Jeff Beck - The Thrill Is Gone May 17, 2015 Nashville Ryman

I like how this video shows Jeff's hands a lot so that we can see how he is creating the sounds he is making. Unlike most of the videos I've seen of his from 2015 I really like this one.

Steve Ahola

big_teee 8/13/2016 7:18 PM
The late great Roy Buchanan.
"My Baby Says She's Gonna Leave Me"

rjb 8/13/2016 8:15 PM
I'll see your late great, and raise you two.

Steve A. 8/19/2016 4:21 PM
Tom Jones & Jeff Beck Goin Down Slow 2002 (audio only):

Steve Ahola

oc disorder 8/19/2016 6:41 PM
This never fails to impress me and you can see how he achieves some of it.

Jeff beck on Jools Holland "Drown in my own tears"

Such a show off! : )

Steve A. 8/20/2016 2:53 AM
Junior Watson - The Hucklebuck

http://youtu.be/3MbgJShzb8c

This is f*ckin' amazing! I've heard a lot about Junior but he really delivers the goods on this number...

BTW the audio is very good especially considering the video is pretty crappy. I believe that VHS tapes record audio digitally, in bits and bytes with time code, so unless the tape itself was damaged I think it'd come out pretty good. (I guess the video was recorded as analog stills, 24-30 fps... true?)

Steve Ahola

big_teee 8/24/2016 12:55 PM
Walter Trout. "I'm Tired"

rjb 9/10/2016 9:57 PM
Blues is blues. No hot guitar licks here, but this is too precious not to share.

big_teee 9/10/2016 10:14 PM
That does not belong here.
Electric Blues means that.
Start a thread of bagpipe swing if you like!

Back to the Blues!

tedmich 9/10/2016 10:43 PM
My current fav, Frank Marino, putting a masterful touch on a version of Red House

rjb 9/10/2016 11:20 PM
Back to the Blues!
In my book, the Mayall vid gets extra points for the short shot of Billie Holiday (1:57-1:58) and flashes of the Bluebird label record.

Steve A. 9/11/2016 10:26 PM
Cool, but it just makes me miss Paul Kossoff that much more...
Damn, Kossoff was the real thing. I'll have to post Jim Capaldi's "Boy with a Problem" after this (Kossoff was the boy with a problem with new lyrics added after his death.)

EDIT: Well, it looks like Capaldi's former bandmate in Traffic- Chris Wood- was the problem boy and that Kossoff didn't OD on heroin until 1976 (Short Cut Draw Blood came out in 1975). No TMZ back then so we all had to make up our own rumors...

In any case Short Cut Draw Blood was one of my favorite LPs back then, with Pete Carr on lead guitar on most of the songs...

Steve Ahola

big_teee 9/18/2016 10:08 AM
Been listening to a lot of Walter Trout Lately.
Good Stuff, with a really good backup band!
Walter Trout, "Finally Gotten Over You".

g1 10/8/2016 12:19 AM
Freddy King @ 28m 26s

https://youtu.be/KVEAqd7WVQM#t=28m26s

Steve A. 10/15/2016 9:38 AM
John Garcia, the older gentleman on the left, just passed away. R.I.P.

big_teee 10/30/2016 8:23 PM
John Mayer "Out of My Mind"
Saw this on Cable, "MTV Live'.
I dig the tone of his strat, very bluezy.
He rambles a lot, but I like it.
Taken from a 2007 LA concert.

big_teee 1/2/2017 11:21 AM
Popa Chubby, "Stoop Down Baby"
He plays a lot of guitar in this one.
I really like the guitar in the middle, band hitting on all cylinders.
Sounds best loud with head phones.
Check it out.

big_teee 3/21/2017 11:52 AM
The great late Mike Bloomfield!
Electric Flag, "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water"

Steve A. 5/23/2017 5:58 PM
Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart
Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart

This song played over the opening credits of "Big Little Lies" on HBO earlier this year, a 7-episode soap opera with Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.
Kiwanuka is a certified double threat, both as a soul vocalist who would have fit right in at the Stax and Hi labels in the 60's and 70's, and as a top-notch guitarist touring with Adele in 2011.

Steve Ahola

P.S. That song has a very brief solo 3 minutes into the song but here is a tune with a lot more electric lead guitar, presumably played by Michael...

https://youtu.be/nOubjLM9Cbc

Steve A. 1/4/2018 10:46 AM
Matt is one of my new favorites, having burst onto the scene in the past 10 or 15 years singing and playing his own blend of blues, rock and jazz, perhaps like a cross between Robben Ford and Albert King...?

Watch "MATT SCHOFIELD Lights Are On.m4v" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/17PCAp1-zMk

I'd call him my favorite young blues guitarist but I see that he turned 40 last summer... "favorite middle aged blues guutarist" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schofield

Steve A.

bob p 1/4/2018 12:20 PM
Steve, you should post a video of Steve Ahola playing blues guitar. I heard a soundfile of him once and I thought he was pretty good.

Steve A. 1/4/2018 10:26 PM
Just heard this on Spotify... Kenny Wayne is sure getting that Albert King/SRV Texas Flood sound on this!

Watch "Dark side of love-The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/4fJ8kYnWPXs

Steve A.

Steve A. 1/4/2018 10:29 PM
Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
Steve, you should post a video of Steve Ahola playing blues guitar. I heard a soundfile of him once and I thought he was pretty good.
There is one on YouTube when I weighed almost 200 lbs more than I do now after esophageal surgery and chemo in 2016 brought me down to ~160#... I'll have to dig that up...

EDIT... Here it is. My solo starts about 3 minutes into the song so if you click on this link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6CBkkEQBc&t=3m2s
...you will go right to it.

I was playing my PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow into one of those cheap Vox pedalboards with a tube. I think I had tried turning up the reverb with my toe and kicked it up too high. That was a low volume jam so at that time both guitarists were using 5W Epiphone Valve Jr heads to keep the levels down...

Here is Jim Caroompas finishing up the song on vocals and guitar after the extremely boring harmonica solo...

Watch "Armando's 2-9-09 Blues Jam" on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6CBkkEQBc&t=6m0s

We used to jam in my parents basement in 1970 when he played a Marshall stack before getting bitten by the blues bug at a jam led by Matt Jacobs who was a big influence on Mark Hummel a few years later. Matt was from Chicago and said he was Little Walter's cousin but we all took that with a grain of salt. Matt became a major player in the San Francisco blues scene in the 80's as Boogie Jake.

Steve A.

P.S. I guess I must have been pretty hot that week because I recorded this with the band I was playing with a few days later...

https://m.soundcloud.com/sssteeve/01...l-on-you-02-15

That was only the second or third time I had played the song and I could never recapture the flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants nervous-as-hell vibe of that solo. We played every Sunday night at the local saloon for 9 months until the owner decided to go instead with a dj.

big_teee 1/6/2018 8:51 AM
Here's another version of "Key to the Hiway".
I miss Mr Johnny Winter!

Chuck H 1/6/2018 10:10 AM
That guitar has series pickup switching options or I'm a cactus. I'll say bridge and middle in series, out of phase. Possibly all three pickups in series with the middle out of phase. Nice tone.

Leo_Gnardo 1/8/2018 7:09 PM
Introducing, one more time, Mick Abrahams!
Does that ring a bell? He sure rings my bells, all of 'em! Mick Abrahams was the guitarist on Jethro Tull's groundbreaking first album, a scant half century ago. Half an hour's video is an awful lot to ask MEF's server to carry, so I hope you will take the trouble to punch on the link and check this club concert out on YouseTube. Too bad there's none of his nine-string guitar work. But there IS a lot to like on this video from early in the millenium. Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPlU7fIRiI

big_teee 1/8/2018 7:36 PM
It was OK.
For me, that Flute, Just Didn't Blues Cut it!

Here's an oldie from 75!

Leo_Gnardo 1/8/2018 7:51 PM
It was OK. For me, that Flute, Just Didn't Blues Cut it!
Well it is supposed to be about the guitar, innit? Granted some guy sitting in at some backyard venue in Italy, he sure wasn't any Ion Anderson. In any case there's lots more of Mick to be found on YouseTube, and you can never go wrong having another listen to Jethro Tull's first album. Same to be said for Blodwyn Pig, the band Mick formed right after his stint in Tull. Not much flute there, just a guy playing two saxes, and sometimes one. Give 'em a listen, it'll take you back to the good ol' days. At worst you'll have to conclude, "that was something different for a change!"

big_teee 1/8/2018 8:26 PM
More Mike Bloomfield.
Don't think I've posted this one.
"If I Ever Get Lucky"

Steve A. 1/8/2018 11:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
Well it is supposed to be about the guitar, innit? Granted some guy sitting in at some backyard venue in Italy, he sure wasn't any Ion Anderson. In any case there's lots more of Mick to be found on YouseTube, and you can never go wrong having another listen to Jethro Tull's first album. Same to be said for Blodwyn Pig, the band Mick formed right after his stint in Tull. Not much flute there, just a guy playing two saxes, and sometimes one. Give 'em a listen, it'll take you back to the good ol' days. At worst you'll have to conclude, "that was something different for a change!"
I never cared much for the early Jethro Tull albums but Blodwyn Pig was one of my favorite bands back then... Mick Abrahams rules!

Watch "Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out -1969 Full Album-" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/4-VNfg9mg20

Watch "Blodwyn Pig – Getting To This 1970 (full album)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/XRRhXOv7tTY

Steve A.

Steve A. 1/9/2018 1:53 AM
More Mike Bloomfield.
Don't think I've posted this one.
"If I Ever Get Lucky"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mp-vUHFIY
That's a great song that was finally released awhile back as a bonus track on a CD reissue of the "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" LP featuring Taj Mahal and his excellent guitarist at the time, Jesse Ed Davis, on 2nd guitar behind Mike Bloomfield.

That was one of my favorite albums and I wore out many copies trying in vain to cop a few licks from Mike. * Five of the tracks recorded that weekend in early 1969 ended up on Nick Gravenites' first album "My Labors" so I consider them both to be one incredible weekend captured on tape. Nick's album has the more rock oriented songs while LaBGFW (my nickname) focused more on blues with Taj Mahal and Bob Jones providing vocals on two songs (please skip over "Oh Mama" which is undoubtedly the worst Mike Bloomfield vocal ever with absolutely no saving grace!) I consider this song to be the high point of the album as a slow blues that really cooks (the two songs with Taj Mahal also feature top notch blues guitar from Mike.)

Watch "Michael Bloomfield - Blues on a West Side" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/cdS62h55z7w

Mike has been my all-time favorite guitarist ever since "East-West" came out in 1966. This song along with many of the slow numbers recorded during that weekend in early 1969 have a very annoying and periodic squeak which I believe was the Hammond organ's rotating speaker desperately in need of lubrication.

Not one to curse the darkness I did a digital remaster in early 2007 of all of the tracks from that 3 day stand☆ which included manually removing each and every one of those damn squeaks from the afflicted tracks. I was using the spectral view in the Adobe Audition 3.0 audio editor which showed these round blobs spaced regularly every second or two - I'd draw a circle around them and hit F2 to run the noise reduction plug-in... and poof! the blob was gone. Hooray... no more squeaks!

Here is a link to the MP3's from a similar project digitally remastering a tape reportedly recorded by keyboard player Mark Naftalin of the early 1969 Fillmore shows and passed down from taper to taper for 37 years before I downloaded a legal copy of it from DIME.

https://app.box.com/folder/339405232

(I'm not sure how well it streams but you should be able to download the tracks and listen to them offline.

☆ That would be the songs included on the "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" LP and as CD bonus tracks as well as Nick Gravenites' "My Labors."

Steve A.

Here's a list of videos for all of the songs on the two albums:

"Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" (full album)

Mike Bloomfield - album Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West 1969 by Michael666u7 - Dailymotion

-==◇==○==◇==-

Watch "NICK GRAVENITES ,MIKE BLOOMFIELD . BLUES LIVE AUDIO 1969" on YouTube (the first three tracks of My Labors)

https://youtu.be/cfK9mrGDyNI

-==◇==○==◇==-

Watch "Nick Gravenites & Mike Bloomfield - Moon Tune" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/zUyMd-8irIE

-==◇==○==◇==-

Watch "Mike Bloomfield & Nick Gravenites ~* ''Wintry Country Side''(Modern Electric Blues 1969)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/WoL1PgTa_eY

-==◇==○==◇==-

And the one Terry just posted, "If I Get Lucky"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mp-vUHFIY

-==◇==○==◇==-

Watch 'em now, download them if you can... you never know how long these videos will be up!

-==◇==○==◇==-

HOT OFF THE PRESS! Mike's album from the mid 70's "If You Love These Blues, Play 'em as You Please!" While of many of his solo albums in the 70's left much to be desired this album on Guitar Player Records had Mike playing both electric and acoustic guitar demonstrating various styles of blues. By this time he had established himself as one of the first Americana singer/guitarists after Ry Cooder, of course.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ypHjm931UHY

big_teee 1/10/2018 11:08 PM
Great Bloomfield Cut Steve, I listened to it several times.

Here's an english Stone's version of "Little Red Rooster", thats not too shabby.
Billy Preston on the Hammond, Ronnie plays some decent slide!

big_teee 1/12/2018 3:28 AM
I found this Previously unreleased song by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
"Blues Medley"
I've never heard it before, and I thought knew, and had bought most Skynyrd music through the years.
Very Allman brothers sounding, especially the guitar, which sounds a lot like Duane.
I think Collins is playing most of the duane sounding licks, and the rest is probably Rossington, and maybe Ed King, between his rehab sessions!
Ronnie Van Zant sounds a lot like Gregg A. at times. until he does his little high note thing.
Great stuff and one for the archives! Enjoy!

big_teee 1/31/2018 11:30 AM
More Skynyrd. "Bad Boy Blues".
This is probably more Southern Rock, but I really dig the rock hot lick blues guitar, in the middle.
It still sound good!
Enjoy!

dmartn149 3/3/2018 12:21 AM
Not exactly blues, but there is some blues in it.

Chuck H 3/3/2018 8:24 AM
Holy hell! I loved that! Hadn't heard of these guys yet, but, damn. A little jazzy in places, but most good blues guys are. Not a tone I would use, but he makes it his. Great voice too. Great band. I'm going shopping. Gotta get some of this in my collection. Need a "thank you" tab.

dmartn149 3/3/2018 10:23 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Holy hell! I loved that! Hadn't heard of these guys yet, but, damn. A little jazzy in places, but most good blues guys are. Not a tone I would use, but he makes it his. Great voice too. Great band. I'm going shopping. Gotta get some of this in my collection. Need a "thank you" tab.
I just recently found them, from a thread at Aron's stompbox forum. Seems like a fairly unusual mix of familiar elements: blues, jazz, rock. All really good players too.

nosaj 3/3/2018 10:34 AM
Quote Originally Posted by dmartn149 View Post
I just recently found them, from a thread at Aron's stompbox forum. Seems like a fairly unusual mix of familiar elements: blues, jazz, rock. All really good players too.
Gotta love the WuTang Forever shirt.

nosaj

Steve A. 3/7/2018 6:01 PM
A very, er, interesting version of "Foxy Lady"...

"Foxy lady - Porcapizza loop performance"

Steve A.

The Dude 3/7/2018 6:27 PM
Hands down, the best tone I've ever heard out of a tennis racket.

Steve A. 3/8/2018 1:45 AM
Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Hands down, the best tone I've ever heard out of a tennis racket.
I think it is the hard hat that makes it work really well, not to mention the cool refret job!

Steve A.

Chuck H 3/8/2018 7:39 AM
...not to mention the cool refret job!
This^^^^^^^^^^^^from the guy who's been refretting all his guitars and has a recent post about the tonal nuance of gluing frets for more resonance!?! Those are zip ties!

Maybe we all need to fuss less and do more like Frank said: Shut up and play yer guitar

The Dude 3/8/2018 7:19 PM
Hey! How do you know he didn't glue those zip ties to the fret board for more resonance?

Leo_Gnardo 3/8/2018 7:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Hey! How do you know he didn't glue those zip ties to the fret board for more resonance?
How about use zip ties for frets. I'll bet you'll get a special resonance with them installed rippley side up, bend some notes over that and strings will pick themselves.

eschertron 3/16/2018 9:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
How about use zip ties for frets. I'll bet you'll get a special resonance with them installed rippley side up, bend some notes over that and strings will pick themselves.
I remember seeing some novelty greeting cards decades ago (early 80s?) that had a thing that looked like the zip tie attached to the cardstock (the card was then used as a sound board). The ripples were spaced in such a way that when you pulled your thumbnail over the ridges, the sound encoded into the ripples could be heard. One card was "Thank you", another was "Happy Birthday" or some such. An amusing concept, never actually saw a card like that given or received.

big_teee 3/16/2018 9:52 AM
Back to the Blues Music.
I ran across this one, a while back.
Alvin Lee, "Slow Blues in C"
I dig his Tone!
RIP Alvin!

big_teee 5/26/2018 11:23 PM
Heard this on Deep Tracks Sirius Cable.
Years ago I had the album on Vinyl, and forgot how good it was.
Blind Faith, "Sleeping in the Ground"

Steve A. 6/17/2018 9:03 AM
Great slow blues with Mike Bloomfield (1968)
Watch ""Mother Earth" with Mike Bloomfield on guitar
by Mother Earth w/ good audio quality" on YouTube
best.slow.blues.ever!

https://youtu.be/0ADKCMDNT5Q

Steve A.

Steve A. 6/17/2018 9:36 AM
Another slow blues from Mike Bloomfield...
Watch "Two Jews Blues - Blues For Barry And....." on YouTube
Mike Bloomfield's 10 minute slow blues "trumps" the 6 minute "Really" on SuperSession because unlike Brill Building songwriter Al Kooper Barry Goldberg was an organist from Chicago who could really play the blues...

https://youtu.be/i0GMVtGww-Y

I bought this album by Barry Goldberg back in1969 because it featured Harvey Mandel on several tracks... it did not mention Mike Bloomfield at all although the cover photo featured a microphone (AKA mike) very prominently.

The album had one song with a guy I had never heard of before on dobro... Duane Allman. The way he played I imagined him to be a grizzled old timer from Nashville. When the first Allman Brothers album came out in November I jumped on it... "I know that guy!"

Steve A.

Steve A. 6/17/2018 9:49 AM
Mike Bloomfield's tribute to Jimi Hendrix
Listen to "Mike Bloomfield ~ ''Jimi The Fox'' A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix 1969" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/82cJXQKsxlw

Another killer track from "Two Jews Blues" this was one of the few non-blues songs Mike recorded in the late 60's (although everything he touched back then had some blues in it.)

BTW this is the long version of the song with an extended outro from a vinyl rip... when reissued on CD they chopped off the tail end of the song.

Steve A.

big_teee 6/17/2018 10:36 AM
Watch ""Mother Earth" with Mike Bloomfield on guitar
by Mother Earth w/ good audio quality" on YouTube
best.slow.blues.ever!

https://youtu.be/0ADKCMDNT5Q

Steve A.
Great song!
Great guitar.
The Singer Tracey Nelson has great PIPES!

big_teee 6/17/2018 10:44 AM
I may have posted this before, if so we need a refresher!
Mike, Al, & Johnny! These guys could really play the BLUES!
"It's My Own Fault"

John_H 6/17/2018 1:09 PM

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Gary Moore.

The Production work on this Japanese video is quite good.

Steve A. 6/20/2018 2:31 PM
Okay, this is certainly not 12 bar blues but I consider it to be blues-based as is much of the playing by Robben Ford. Isaiah Sharkey is incredible and his 5 minute solo on John Mayer's "If I Ever Get Around to Living" is some of the best guitar playing that I've heard in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc8vWlmhP5s&t=3m29s

"John Mayer - If I Ever Get Around to Living - Hollywood Casino - Tinley Park, IL - Sept 2, 2017 LIVE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc8vWlmhP5s

Watch "Isaiah Sharkey Trio at Winter JazzFest 2017" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/X0Lf6uGMWuw

Watch "Isaiah Sharkey Teaches Piano-Like Blues Riffs on Guitar | Reverb Tips and Tricks" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/fEGjlKxnoco

Watch "Isaiah Sharkey on D'Angelo's "Till It's Done" | Reverb Tips and Tricks" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/4SBMBU6BalU

Steve A.

big_teee 6/20/2018 3:03 PM
You're right, that's not 12 bar blues!
Jazz, or more Jam-on music, maybe.

I've always been a Leon Fan.
"Lost inside the Blues"

Steve A. 6/20/2018 7:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by John_H View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwc7ZEYfWYc
John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Gary Moore.

The Production work on this Japanese video is quite good.
I agree... that is an amazing video which of course I had to share with my friends on FB. Here is a recording from Gary Moore and his band on that same European tour. You can click the link below which is cued up to deliver the last vocal line and then go right into the 6+ minute slow blues solo...

"Gary Moore - I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know (Live, TVRip)" on YouTube [cued up for guitar solo]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0UW1izy7Y0&t=5m50s

Or click on the embedded video if you would rather not skip the 6 minutes of Gary's pained vocals...

I ran across that live track while searching for more videos from the 20008 Montreux Festival, preferably from the same source as "So Many Roads."

No such luck on that but I ran across seven 50-60 minute compilation videos from Rayo P. titled "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 live songs- Part 1-7" with the Gary Moore song track 1 on Part 1 so undoubtedly very important to Mr. P.

Here are links to those seven videos, most of which have live video, a few have slide shows. Several Joe Bonnamassa videos included in the mix but I won't snitch if someone decides to skip those segments...

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 live songs- Part 1" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/gx66MT20WNI

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 songs- Part 2" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/pxT4kPWVNvY

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 more songs- Part 3" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/7BpirrT2F8U

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 more songs- Part 4" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Qk3wkVw8FME

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 more songs- Part 5" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/TnudRuVaZhk

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 songs- Part 6" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/hfHN_8WqNQo

Watch "Blues-rock favorites, compilation of 8 more songs- Part 7" on YouTube https://youtu.be/Yof44SR_kX8

After watching all seven hours of these live videos be sure to post your favorites here! JK

Steve A.

Steve A. 6/20/2018 8:28 PM
You're right, that's not 12 bar blues!
Jazz, or more Jam-on music, maybe.
He was certainly jammin', mon, but he played on the 2015 Grammy award winning for the best R&B album and song. I don't think that there is any kind of music that he can't play...

I've always been a Leon Fan.
"Lost inside the Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP6kO12htFs
"Hank Wilson's Back" was always one of my favorites...

[img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49423&d=1529547864[/img]

-==◇==○==◇==-

You want 12 bar blues? Here is a link to the best collection of Elmore James I've seen, properly licensed from all of the labels he recorded for between 1950 and 1965. For those people who only associate him with "Dust My Broom" that only scratched the surface of his talents as a guitarist and one of the most powerful blues singers ever...

Watch "ELMORE JAMES - BLUES MASTERS WORKS (FULL CD)" on YouTube

I bought this CD two years ago for $6.49... it is now selling on Amazon for $70! I really hated paying $3.99 for s/h for a single CD but really wanted the collection so I bit the bullet.

Steve A.

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]49423[/ATTACH]

big_teee 6/30/2018 11:49 PM
Here's a blues jam I like.
Pretty long, but I like it.
Lots of Keys, and Harp.
Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
"He's got all the Whiskey"

Steve A. 7/11/2018 10:21 PM
Listen to "Otis Rush - Live At The Wise Fools Pub (Full Album)" on YouTube ... A+!
Otis Rush has been one of my favorite blues singer/guitarists since hearing him on Vanguard's "Chicago | The Blues | Today Vol. 2" released in 1966. We all knew that he wrote "All Your Love" on the John Mayall Bluesbreaker album with Eric Clapton but I had assumed that the original was some funky Chicago blues single from the 50's completely overhauled by EC. Not so! Both versions were great but Otis Rush's was the true classic.

I have all of Otis' recordings and had been disappointed that none of them really captured his true genius as a guitarist until Delmark released this 1976 live recording in 2005. WXRT in Chicago had a regular "Unconcert" blues show featuring live bands recorded at the local clubs like the Wise Fools Pub where Otis played whenever he was in town. Unlike most of his later recordings there was no producer controlling the session Otis was at home playing his own set recorded inobtrusively by local audiophile/blues enthusiast Ken Rasek who produced most of the Unconcerts named after their sponsor, the Uncola (Seven Up.)

So here is your chance to hear what a *real* Otis Rush set sounded like in the mid-70's which was like 85%+ guitar and maybe 10% vocals... all 66 minutes & 33 seconds!

Listen to "Otis Rush - All Your Love I Miss Loving - Live At The Wise Fools Pub / Chicago (Full Album)" on YouTube ... A+!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCYo0aYxEg

[img]http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49683&d=1531369819[/img]

Here is the CD listing on Amazon, $12.99/Prime

https://www.amazon.com/All-Your-Love.../dp/B000BBOTU0

(I am STILL pissed off at Amazon for raising the allowable shipping charge for CDs to $3.99, which makes the used copy there for $7.99 practically as expensive as a new copy with free shipping which I believe was their hidden agenda to sell more new copies. Bastards!)

Steve A.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49683[/ATTACH]

dstrat 7/11/2018 10:37 PM
this was always my fav of ottis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJT_X5aoCZo

Steve A. 7/11/2018 11:07 PM
Quote Originally Posted by dstrat View Post
this was always my fav of ottis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJT_X5aoCZo
Cool! I tried searching for recording details but only came up with the 2016 release date on Sunset Blvd. Records, an imprint of Proper Records UK which I learned has released and reissued a whole bunch of blues records as well as their $20 5CD box sets...

Steve A.

dstrat 7/11/2018 11:17 PM
this is the only reference i could find apparently a compilation.
https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-City-.../dp/B01L0LYGG6

sounds to me a gibson 335 or so thru a early 6L6 amp of the time.
killer tone!

Edit yeah I just noticed release date.
but I have been listening to this for many years(20 or more).